Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
elementz
elementz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question [Kindle 3] Cannot change dictionary

Hi all.
I have a german kindle device, which comes with three dictionaries: german, american, and oxford english.
Right now, the dictionary lookup is set to use the german dictionary.
I was trying to set it to the oxford dictionary, via
Code:
Homescreen > Menu > Settings > Menu > Change Primary Dictionary > Oxford English
But every time I try to use it in an english book, it still uses the german dictionary. I have tried a reboot, but that did not help either.
Also, none of the dictionaries are stored within the archive, nor do I have any collections on the device yet.
Does anybody have an idea what could be the reason for the kindle not updating the dictionary settings?
elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Are you sure your English books have their language meta-data set to English ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
elementz

How can I check? Maybe in calibre somewhere?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementz View Post
How can I check? Maybe in calibre somewhere?
You can use the books in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128

If it works ok then you can use mobi2mobigui to check and correct metadata of your books

Last edited by thomass; 09-17-2011 at 07:07 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
elementz

Just found out that the newest version of calibre allows to edit the language for a book when editing its metadata!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
@elementz - I have a similar problem. Did you solve it?
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle3