Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #1936
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, PB Touch Lux 623, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm a tad confused but I also think this comment is unfortunate.

Surely you as a believer wouldn't find it sad if Hawking was wrong about heaven; you must be confident he was. So I can only assume that you're implying that Hawking must be in hell because of his atheism, "sad loss to the world" notwithstanding.

I think that's unnecessary, inappropriate and offensive.
I'm not sure I can respond to this without crossing into P&R territory. But I think if he'd been one of those that would be hateful and gloat "Now he'll learn", or something like that, it would be offensive. But I can understand feeling sad if he truly is a believer.

Given this is a site visited by folks of many beliefs/world views, you're probably right it's inappropriate, though. But for what my two cents are worth, I truly don't think he meant it to be offensive in any way.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #1937
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm a tad confused . . .
That was also my reaction, "eh, what's he mean by that I wonder?"

But I gave crich the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was thinking "...It is a sad loss to the world and even sadder if he is wrong right about that."

BTW I understand why Hawking didn't get a Nobel, but I don't understand why the Brits didn't give him a knighthood or make him a peer of the realm. Maybe he forewarned the transients in 10 Downing St, and the Palace he would respectfully decline.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-16-2018 at 12:16 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #1938
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
but I don't understand why the Brits didn't give him a knighthood or make him a peer of the realm. Maybe he forewarned the transients in 10 Downing St, and the Palace he would respectfully decline.
It seems he was offered one about twenty years ago, but declined.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #1939
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
It's been announced that Hawking's ashes will be interred at Westminster Abbey.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:29 AM   #1940
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm not sure I can respond to this without crossing into P&R territory. But I think if he'd been one of those that would be hateful and gloat "Now he'll learn", or something like that, it would be offensive. But I can understand feeling sad if he truly is a believer.

Given this is a site visited by folks of many beliefs/world views, you're probably right it's inappropriate, though. But for what my two cents are worth, I truly don't think he meant it to be offensive in any way.
Nope, I didn't. I do respect his right to believe what he wished, but if he was wrong about that... well I don't want to spark a theological debate in the Lounge. I have enough on my plate. I've been at Monroe Manor sitting up with my mom since Thursday afternoon. She is close to the end.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #1941
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I need a virtual candle for my mom (Penelope Karen Brentner). She passed away this afternoon age 74 at 5:06 pm from brain cancer. :'(
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #1942
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I need a virtual candle for my mom (Penelope Karen Brentner). She passed away this afternoon age 74 at 5:06 pm from brain cancer. :'(
My deepest sympathies for your loss. Your family will be in my thoughts.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #1943
poohbear_nc
It's a bird, it's a ....
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
So sorry for your loss crich .... the loss of a parent hurts so much ..
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:05 AM   #1944
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@crich70 - take comfort from knowing she can rest in peace now.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 AM   #1945
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, crich.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:03 AM   #1946
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Crich, so sorry for the of loss of your beloved mom. May she rest in peace.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #1947
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I’m so sorry for the loss of your mother. To lose a parent is always an extra sad loss indeed. My prayers are with you, and may your mum Rest In Peace.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #1948
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
I'm sorry for the loss of your mother, who was blessed in her devoted son.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #1949
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600, Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x2)
Sorry to hear of your loss Crich.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #1950
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sorry to hear about your Mom, crich70. My thoughts are with her family and friends.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote