Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #1
Dfaure
Enthusiast
Dfaure began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Aura HD, Cybook Muse
Clock sync without wifi

Hi,

For the few latest Kobo firmware releases the time is displayed on the home and various other screens. This feature is quite handy, but the clock accuracy is rather poor and hopefully the reader time is reset on each synchronization.

I never use the wifi to directly sync my reader, but I verified that the Kobo Application was also resetting the reader's clock when the it was plugged on USB.

So, I was wondering if, for those like me who doesn't use very often the Kobo Application, the timesync couldn't be made by other means, such as with a Calibre plugin for example?

Last edited by Dfaure; 12-01-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
Dfaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nope, you'd need shell access to set the date.

(And, yes, it will sync the date/time on startup, and on sync).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Then how does the Kobo desktop app do it? Is it updated in the DB perhaps? Or a settings file?
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wasn't aware that the desktop app did anything on that front (I rarely use it), but if that's indeed the case, that's a very good question ;o).
Old 12-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just confirmed. Yes it does sync the time over USB. I deliberately adjusted the time on my Glo by a couple of minutes, disabled WiFI, plugged it in and used the Kobo desktop app. Upon unplugging, the time was set correctly.
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Stupid question is stupid: and I assume it didn't just do an ntp sync over Wi-Fi on unplug? ^^.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
sherman
Guru

Nope, it only happens with the Kobo desktop app. I tried unplugging after Calibre, and no time sync.

I'm pretty sure they probably do it via Kobo ereader.conf, as I monitored what files were accessed, and it was only the conf file, and the DB, although it could be set in the DB as well.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I had to test this as I didn't really believe it. Turned off WiFi on my Aura H2O, set the clock a few hours back, connected to the PC and ran the Kobo desktop application. Disconnected and the time was correct.

How? As far as I have understood this, the device was seen as a USB MSD. I wouldn't have thought access to anything else was available. Anyone know how this works?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Apparently the desktop application writes the file "epoch.conf" into the .kobo directory when it is ejecting the device. That has the current epoch time. The device reads that when it is ejected and sets the time.

I might add this to my Kobo Utilities plugin as it won't be hard.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh, that's a neat and simple trick .
Old 12-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Apparently the desktop application writes the file "epoch.conf" into the .kobo directory when it is ejecting the device. That has the current epoch time. The device reads that when it is ejected and sets the time.

That would be great.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Good sleuthing! Is this something that could also be added to the calibre KoboTouch driver so it could be automated?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It might also be able to update the TZ, by reading a *nix zoneinfo filename from .kobo/timezone.conf (e.g., Europe/Paris) .