Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
USBNetwork: Kindle seems to be behind a firewall (?)

Hi guys,

So I have this new kindle and I have been trying to set up USBNetworking, many years after my last (successful) attempt.
Something is quite not right here...
I am using the default configuration, the only thing I changed is the Kindle Ip address. I have verified the config file is in Unix LF mode.
I also have kterm installed, and when the sshd is up I can run ifconfig -a and it will show me usb0 interface up with the address I want.
FWIW, I have tried both with the default ip address, and with 192.168.1.114 (my home computers being .2 - windows - and .3 - linux).

So I fire up USBNetwork, verify via kterm it is up, plug in the usb cable and... nothing. Neither putty on Windows nor Linux with ssh will get to the Kindle. If I try to ping the Kindle IP I receive no answer, and neither if I try to ping my windows or linux pc from the Kindle. Btw my computers do respond to pings when called each other.

What can it be?
I have generated a public key with puttygen, stored in Unix format (LF) in a text file which I renamed to usbnet/etc/authorized_keys on the kindle, and used the same key to connect from putty (though I don't think that matters: putty doesn't even reach the kindle, it's not that it doesn't like the public key).
No firewall is installed on my computers, so what could it be? I think I followed the instructions correctly...

Thanks!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Don't change the IPs?

It doesn't have, and in fact, probably *should NOT* be in your subnet when in USB mode.

Remember that each end of the cable has a different IP. The one you use to setup the network connection on your end is $HOST_IP. The one you connect to on your end is $KINDLE_IP. (Both of those *have to* be in the same subnet).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-20-2020 at 10:58 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Don't change the IPs?

It doesn't have, and in fact, probably *should NOT* be in your subnet when in USB mode.

Remember that each end of the cable has a different IP. The one you use to setup the network connection on your end is $HOST_IP. The one you connect to on your end is $KINDLE_IP. (Both of those *have to* be in the same subnet).
Thanks for the insight Niluje, I actually forgot the network adapter on "my" end...
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote