Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Where is the ”Add to reader” link?

I frequently stumble across lengthy texts that I would like to read some other time on my Cybook. But where is the “add to reader” link? (or perhaps bookmarklet, or an area to paste rich formatted text to).

The current procedure is to mail the URL to myself, download and transform to a mobi file when at a computer having Mobipocket Creator installed and the plug in my Cybook and drag the file to the Cybook. Would it not be easier to just press a link resulting in the text being transferred to my Cybook the next time I plug in?

This could probably be an addition to the News Stand application by Feedbooks or something similar and would be fairly simple to implement (the hard part of course would be to spread it to the webmasters but maybe the environmental angle (a green icon?) and room for even more ads in the API would make it possible).
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just a note that, generally speaking, web pages are copyrighted. Copying them to your eBook reader is illegal unless you have the permission of the copyright holder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Copyright is always fun!

This would be fair use like printing, so it should not be an issue.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Copyright is always fun!

This would be fair use like printing, so it should not be an issue.
Hmmm. I'm really not sure that I agree with you about that! Copying small portions for purpose of research or review would certainly be fair use, but do you really think that copying entire pages is? I have my doubts.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. I'm really not sure that I agree with you about that! Copying small portions for purpose of research or review would certainly be fair use, but do you really think that copying entire pages is? I have my doubts.
What is the difference between copying to Cybook and printing out a page? Or are you saying that printing out a web page is copyright infringement?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What is the difference between copying to Cybook and printing out a page? Or are you saying that printing out a web page is copyright infringement?
Technically, I suspect that it probably is, yes, in that it's an unauthorised copy. Do you think it counts as "fair use"?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Technically, I suspect that it probably is, yes, in that it's an unauthorised copy. Do you think it counts as "fair use"?
Yes, format shifting is no problem.

I count on you pointing out every time somebody print out a page from a web page that it is probably is copyright infringement just so you are consistent.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't think it's a black and white as saying it's "fair use" or it isn't. It depends what you subsequently do with the printout. Eg, selling it on eBay is almost certainly not OK.

I'm not at all certain what counts as fair use and what doesn't. That's why I asked you what you thought.

Quote:
I count on you pointing out every time somebody print out a page from a web page that it is probably is copyright infringement just so you are consistent.
I think you're over-simplifying the matter. I really don't think it's as simple as making a blanket statement that "it's fair use" or "it's not fair use". There are many factors that need to be taken into consideration.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

If making the copy is problematic or not does not depend on what you later do with it. Not in the law systems I know something about at least. Copyright is concerned with distribution.

In this case were you pointed out potential problem it was a case of printing out something, read it and then throwing away the printed copy.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If making the copy is problematic or not does not depend on what you later do with it. Not in the law systems I know something about at least. Copyright is concerned with distribution.
"Fair use" is very much concerned with "intent". Eg, in the UK it's fine to quote limited amounts of someone else's work for the purpose of review or criticism, but quoting that same work and simply re-selling it (without adding anything of your own) is not OK. That's where Mr. Ark's "Harry Potter Lexicon" fell foul of the law.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
In the U.S. I'm pretty sure that printing even an entire article for your own later perusal would be fair use (since the RIAA doesn't pay attention to printed material ).

From what you've said in the past, HarryT, I gather that this would not be the case in England.

I confess that I've never encountered Norvegius, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to what its fair use guidelines might be.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Prospect
Other

The web is still a fairly new concept with many legal questions not yet settled. There are quite a few jurisdictions all having slightly different rules regarding copyrights. It is a mess and there are different angles for everything. Its all very entertaining.

Printing of websites for personal use is ok Norway like the rest of the world. Same would be using the Cybook as an offline browser. The feature suggested is nothing more than the "Print", "Save" or "Convert to PDF" in your favourite browser. Please give it a rest.