Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #466
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Maybe you forgot to move the Ctrl key to its proper place (the CAPS Lock position on modern keyboards).
I was using a Sun workstation with a Sun keyboard. No remapping needed.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #467
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I was using a Sun workstation with a Sun keyboard. No remapping needed.
That much have been a very old Sun keyboard. All images I find of US SUN keyboards have CAPS-lock were Ctrl should be (to the left of A).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #468
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That much have been a very old Sun keyboard. All images I find of US SUN keyboards have CAPS-lock were Ctrl should be (to the left of A).
It wasn't an old keyboard at the time I was struggling to learn emacs. I don't use Suns much any more, so each time I do, it is a shock to see the Ctrl key in the wrong place, and those awful wheel mice.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #469
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Has the "Ctrl" key moved on US keyboards? On UK keyboards it's always been bottom row, left side, as far as I can recall.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #470
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has the "Ctrl" key moved on US keyboards? On UK keyboards it's always been bottom row, left side, as far as I can recall.
No, not on old Sun keyboards and on VT100 terminals. It changed for Sun keyboard when they started to use the PC keyboard layout. It was very annoying.
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #471
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's true for PC keyboards as far as I remember, but even in the UK, serial terminals (VT100 etc) and many non-PC workstations had the Ctrl key where caps lock is now.

Remapping the Caps-Lock Key to Ctrl is quite common for vi/vim users on keyboards that have Caps-Lock on the home row - it not only makes Ctrl more accessible, but also reduces the carnage caused by rapidly typing a string of normal-mode commands with Caps-Lock accidentally engaged.

Many vi(m) users remap Caps-Lock to Esc - however, I prefer mapping it to Ctrl as the "Ctrl+[" equivalent for Esc is then easy to reach.

/JB

Last edited by jbjb; 07-26-2013 at 01:51 PM.
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #472
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
With my new PC tablet I can wake it up from sleep instantly and it can stay in sleep mode for many days without losing a significant amount of battery charge. Even with Wifi on and e-mail downloads active.

You can, of course, keep any old computer always plugged in, running, and then use it immediately --- but that wasn't progress.
So, "grasshopper" you are saying that

a tablet on battery in sleep mode

........is different from

a computer plugged in with a screen saver.

Remember, I said essentially, "Of course if only a battery is powering the equipment, there are problems with that idea,."

Your "progress" is only in effect and visible beyond the reach of the power cord.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #473
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Your "progress" is only in effect and visible beyond the reach of the power cord.
A lot of us spend at least part of the day out of the reach of the power cord, so those low power modes are important. It also makes the use of electronics less psychologically demanding for some people. As an example: they can "turn it off" without interrupting a download.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #474
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
A lot of us spend at least part of the day out of the reach of the power cord, so those low power modes are important. It also makes the use of electronics less psychologically demanding for some people. As an example: they can "turn it off" without interrupting a download.
Even if an outlet is within reach it can be a pain always being tied to the cord. On the sofa, in bed, at the airport, etc. Long battery life means freedom for me and was the main deciding factor when I just purchased my latest laptop.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-26-2013 at 09:28 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #475
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
--------

It also makes the use of electronics less psychologically demanding for some people. As an example: they can "turn it off" without interrupting a download.

explain please.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #476
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
explain please.
Ever notice how computers have a lot of options, like: reboot, sleep, hibernate, turn-off? A lot of people don't know or care about the difference between those commands, while they interrupt stuff that the computer may be doing in the background (like downloads or polling for new messages). Most mobile devices can go into a low power mode that will continue with those background activities with the press of a button, which is why I stuck "turn it off" in quotes. Of course you can actually turn most of those devices off if you tried, but I'd suggest that most people never even bother.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #477
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Ever notice how computers have a lot of options, like: reboot, sleep, hibernate, turn-off? A lot of people don't know or care about the difference between those commands, while they interrupt stuff that the computer may be doing in the background (like downloads or polling for new messages). Most mobile devices can go into a low power mode that will continue with those background activities with the press of a button, which is why I stuck "turn it off" in quotes. Of course you can actually turn most of those devices off if you tried, but I'd suggest that most people never even bother.
"most people never even bother" is correct.
Recently I was called to fiddle with my wife's home Toshiba laptop which has a Toshiba "ECO cloak" laid on top of it.
She had a lot of stuff running all the time, screen saver, slide shows of all sorts of things, etc.
Occasionally the machine just wouldn't "come back" from wherever it had warped off to, and she not being of a hardware type bent didn't understand that "press the off button" means these days that you hold the thing down for a while until it makes a funny "off" sound. Then you could bring it back up -- usually.
(Darn, where is the E-Stop when you need it?)

Anyway, I am looking at the screen, and press the screen virtual "Start" button and what? "No hibernate?" "No shutdown," "No Power off." Had to work to restore hibernate even.

It works better, but I still had to give a "finger on" lesson on how to press the physical power off/on button until you get that "funny off sound."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #478
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One annoying thing is that I have lost the middle button on my Dell XPS13 Ubuntu Edition. I cannot find how to get it to work in a reasonable way with the touchapd so I have to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V instead. Very irritating.
Try tapping in the upper right corner of the touchpad. That is the third rated answer on this page at askubuntu.com
http://askubuntu.com/questions/13039...d-middle-click
I just tried it on a Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition (factory installed ubuntu 12.04, the one released this spring with core i7 and 1920x1080 screen) and it worked fine.

When I found the above link, I implemented the second ranked answer (editing 50-synaptics.conf to make a 3 finger tap middle click). I then changed it to make 2 finger tap middle click and three finger tap right click.

I didn't try the top rated answer.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #479
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Try tapping in the upper right corner of the touchpad. That is the third rated answer on this page at askubuntu.com
http://askubuntu.com/questions/13039...d-middle-click
I just tried it on a Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition (factory installed ubuntu 12.04, the one released this spring with core i7 and 1920x1080 screen) and it worked fine.

When I found the above link, I implemented the second ranked answer (editing 50-synaptics.conf to make a 3 finger tap middle click). I then changed it to make 2 finger tap middle click and three finger tap right click.

I didn't try the top rated answer.
I wonder how I missed that when googling.

But I have disabled single finger taps since they were annoying since it was so easy to tap by mistake. And clicking in the right hand top corner does not work.

I will try the other suggestions. Thanks for the info.