Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
E-BookStores offering titles in *.lrf

Any chances we could pull out the list of EBookstores offering titles in *lrf which could be an alternative to Sony store (which is quite poor when it comes to choice
It would be great to have choice not only from the US, if there is one
Appreciate your answers
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The following is a list of ebookstores that carry ebooks for the Sony Reader:

1. Sony Connect
2. Sony Connect
3. Sony Connect
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
are u for real?
ok, than what are
1. best e-bookstores offering different formats?
2. is *.lrf format proprietary format of SONY?
3. what does it take to make them offer *.lrf's (not Connect )
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The following is a list of ebookstores that carry ebooks for the Sony Reader:

1. Sony Connect
2. Sony Connect
3. Sony Connect
... but none of those carry "lrf" files, which was the question asked .

"lrf" is the file extension of unprotected Sony Reader files. The "Connect" store only sells DRM-protected content - these are "lrx" files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek_W View Post
are u for real?
ok, than what are
1. best e-bookstores offering different formats?
2. is *.lrf format proprietary format of SONY?
3. what does it take to make them offer *.lrf's (not Connect )
Sorry. I couldn't resist the joke. LRF is proprietary, but it has no DRM. I don't think it is going to be of interest to most sellers.

I don't know of any ebookstore that carries that format right now. I am currently pestering Baen and Fictionwise. You're welcome to join in.

I don't have any money for books at the moment. But when I have the money I will buy ebooks in the MSReader LIT format. You can legally remove the DRM, and then convert to LRF. The software to do this can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11618
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Also, LIT is sold just about everywhere. Go here and search, and you'll be told where you can buy:

www.mslit.com
Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't have any money for books at the moment. But when I have the money I will buy ebooks in the MSReader LIT format. You can legally remove the DRM, and then convert to LRF.
Arek is in Poland. Are you absolutely certain that Polish law allows one to circumvent DRM? It's illegal to do so in the UK! It is unwise to assume that the law everywhere in the world is the same as in one's own country.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There is one place I know of besides the ConnStore that offers BBeB (the more generic name for LRF/LRX books): http://www.SteveJordanBooks.com
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Then of course there's Baen, which offers formats such as HTML and RTF which can be very easily converted to LRF.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Arek is in Poland. Are you absolutely certain that Polish law allows one to circumvent DRM? It's illegal to do so in the UK! It is unwise to assume that the law everywhere in the world is the same as in one's own country.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
mikolaj
mikolaj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I moved out a couple of years ago, but I'm fairly sure the Polish legislators wouldn't tell DRM even if it fell on them. The question is whether there is any EU directive on DRM, something they could have effortlessly hacked into a law.
mikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikolaj View Post
I moved out a couple of years ago, but I'm fairly sure the Polish legislators wouldn't tell DRM even if it fell on them. The question is whether there is any EU directive on DRM, something they could have effortlessly hacked into a law.
There is indeed an EU copyright directive, but, as you know, it's up to individual EU countries to implement it in national law. The UK has done so, but I don't know what other countries have or haven't, which is why I'm saying "be careful".
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While it may be illegal (in some countries) to purchase LIT fomat books, break the DRM, and convert to BBeB, but, do you feel it's unethical?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Nope, not at all, but the law doesn't care whether or not it's being ethical when it punishes you . I'd have no qualms at all about doing it personally for a LIT file that I'd bought.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Nope, not at all, but the law doesn't care whether or not it's being ethical when it punishes you . I'd have no qualms at all about doing it personally for a LIT file that I'd bought.
The law and ethics have no bearing on each other. What I want to know is why is it OK to convert CDs to another format, but to do so for an ebook is wrong?

I for one feel it's ok to convert LIT to LRF. And if I want to share said book with my wife, I don't feel that's a problem either. Even Sony allows us to share.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote