Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Throttling is what I was most wondering about--if I wanted to access, say, 6 to 10 audiobooks, would they let me?
I believe the answer to that is YES as long as they are all already in your Saved list.

I'm not able to put that to a significant test at this time, but that is the impression I have gained over my months of use.

My strategy was to, at the beginning of my new billing month, add any new titles I am interested in all at once. I soon reach the "available on _/_/_" but everything already added before that message appears is available to me.

ETA I just added 18 titles to my saved list and haven't yet run into the message. It could have something to do with the fact I only listened to one title this billing cycle.

Last edited by booklover6; 08-25-2018 at 12:24 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #47
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm thinking of a trial membership for Scribd when my KU subscription runs out in a couple of weeks. Those of you already using it, what's the best approach for maximizing the number of audiobooks I can listen to from Scribd? Should I create a wish list and stick to it? Or just borrow books one at a time?
The best way is not use a save list. Offline download an audiobooks it will automatically count any offline downloads and you should get at least three or more. This is what I do. I download one then finish it and remove it then download another till I hit my limit. The only books on my save list are from back when the credit system was around.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Booklover6 and Blossom, you seem to be saying opposite things. Or am I misunderstanding?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #49
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You're not misunderstanding. Because no one knows exactly how it works, everyone has different theories. Best to just try it yourself and see what you think works for you. Even if you get throttled.

I have 20 list categories. I have many hundreds and hundreds of items saved. I even keep the books on lists when I'm done because Scribd allows you to mark them as Finished and filter lists by that category.

I think it counts a "listen" when you download. I'm unsure how it handles listening by streaming versus download. Maybe at the beginning? Maybe after a certain percentage that it isn't considered sampling? That's why I don't sample at all anymore and only download and listen if I'm committed to the book.

I think that the throttling varies per user on a monthly basis. I think there is some monetary algorithm that it is based on. If you are throttled, then you will see a reduced catalog. You may or may not like the reduced catalog options.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks. My plan is just to do a free trial; I don't like being forced to use an app instead of my preferred device. So I guess I'll wing it, and if I only get a few books, I won't be any worse off.

Does Scribd download to a card, or only to a device?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #51
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I believe the answer to that is YES as long as they are all already in your Saved list.

I'm not able to put that to a significant test at this time, but that is the impression I have gained over my months of use.

My strategy was to, at the beginning of my new billing month, add any new titles I am interested in all at once. I soon reach the "available on _/_/_" but everything already added before that message appears is available to me.
I wonder if the saved list behavior you describe is the "bug" which has been fixed! I just saw this message posted on their help website today.
https://support.scribd.com/hc/en-us/...ile_site=false
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #52
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Well, it looks like 2 books a month is my maximum, and it has nothing to do with how fast I get through the titles. I listened to one at the start of the month over several days, and yesterday I started a second one...and now I'm throttled to about ten or twelve titles. I wonder what would happen if I listened to all those before the new month started and deleted them from my saved list...would I get a new rotation of "you've been throttled, this is all you get" choices from my saved list, or would I get nothing at all?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, the price still isn't bad (and I'm getting the student rate right now, which is half price). And when I'm done with school, the rate still won't be bad for two non-throttled selections a month, plus whatever they decide I can have from the post-throttled pile. But even though they say they warn people that "unlimited" doesn't quite mean what it says, I still feel a little misled.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #53
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went to cancel Scribd yesterday, as I don't really have the time for it. I was offered a "Scribd Lite" membership for $4.95 a month. No details anywhere as to what it includes. So I have sent an email asking how many audio books a month are included. I will report back.

I received a reply stating that Lite members may access a more limited catalog. No mention of limiting the actual number of titles read/listened to. So I will be investigating further.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-09-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #54
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Of my saved list, as a "Lite" member, 34 audio books are available. 188 are not. Interestingly, I think all of the non-fiction audio books in my list are still available. I'll have to see what happens to my numbers after I listen to one.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.