Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yeah, I stopped using BoB because it just became too much of a pain to navigate the site and filter out the romance for the books I did want.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
What a nuisance. Just copied all my order details, but there's no link to the Wishlist. I know some of the books on it, but not all. Hope they're back up and running soon otherwise I don't know where I'm going to shop. I don't like Kobo as you have to buy books one at a time and I average about 7 books when I buy.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Another in a seemingly long line and ebook sites going under. Plus, this and Fictionwise were two of my favorite accounts. They did offer good discounts. This is in no way good for the consumer. There has to be a place for these independent sites.
Well, Fictionwise sealed their own fate with Indy authors, quite bluntly.

I have a very nice clientele list, but none of them were willing to give Fictionwise an exclusive deal on their lists, that's absolute insanity. No Indy author is going to do that with their backlist, or for that matter, new books. I had clients that originally (some 3-4 years ago) wanted to be on FW, but took one look at their T&C for publishers and just laughed out loud, turned around and LEFT, publishing instead at Amazon or Amazon + Aggregators.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I had used BOB only for audiobooks--with their discount codes, I was able to get some good deals.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, Fictionwise sealed their own fate with Indy authors, quite bluntly.

I have a very nice clientele list, but none of them were willing to give Fictionwise an exclusive deal on their lists, that's absolute insanity. No Indy author is going to do that with their backlist, or for that matter, new books. I had clients that originally (some 3-4 years ago) wanted to be on FW, but took one look at their T&C for publishers and just laughed out loud, turned around and LEFT, publishing instead at Amazon or Amazon + Aggregators.

Hitch
Allromance also tries to get exclusives - but they allow non-exclusive at a lower rate.

What killed FW, though, was B&N bought them and then gutted the catalog and dumped all but the propriety DRM- scheme (which they kept for exactly one eInk model, then killed off).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Allromance also tries to get exclusives - but they allow non-exclusive at a lower rate.

What killed FW, though, was B&N bought them and then gutted the catalog and dumped all but the propriety DRM- scheme (which they kept for exactly one eInk model, then killed off).
Yep. Once publishers stop making Secure eReader format Fictionwise no longer had mainstream new books other than Indies. B&N had no reason to keep them around once that format became obsolete.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #37
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yep. Once publishers stop making Secure eReader format Fictionwise no longer had mainstream new books other than Indies. B&N had no reason to keep them around once that format became obsolete.
True, but it also gave B&N an epub DRM that didn't require an authentication
server be maintained. And that would have no per book cost for them.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
This is crap. I've bought some books from BooksOnBoard, for quite good prices.

We are "expected" to buy stuff from Bol.com or Kobo here in the Netherlands, but the first is certainly not going to happen. Some ePubs at Bol happily cost exactly the same or more than the paperback versions, and Kobo is often only slightly cheaper. I don't buy at Amazon.com because I want my base format to be ePub.

The possible demise of BooksOnBoard shows that I've been right all along the last 10+ years, when hollering and screaming: "Download your stuff! Remove the DRM! Create Backups! If you cannot do this, then don't buy! Don't trust the seller!" BooksOnBoard provides downloads: for now. Many other stores don't, be it for books, music or games.

I hope they come back, because I'd hate to loose a good source for ePubs.

The stores I've been using are Diesel EBooks, BooksOnBoard, Kobo and Feedbooks, always picking the cheapest for a particular book. What I'd like is a way to buy books at Waterstones, Foyles, or WHSmith in the UK: They often have good prices too, but I can't buy from them either because I'm not in the UK, or don't have a UK credit card. (If at all possible, I'd like to not use proxies or other "illegal" means to trick them.)

edit: WHSmiths links to the Kobo website; the price at Kobo in Euro's is actually higher than the price at WHSmiths' site, when converting from pounds to euro's.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
BoB says they are not going away. Why is everyone acting like BoB is going away?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #40
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Who says they're NOT going away? It is not at all guaranteed that they can get a "new business model" off the ground.

Selling ebooks only has one business model: Sell the books that people want, and sell them cheaper than other stores.

I've split series between stores, so I could save €5 in the end. Only €5, but hey; it's enough for another book. And sometimes the savings were bigger than that by splitting large series over mulitple stores.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BoB says they are not going away. Why is everyone acting like BoB is going away?
They have gone away.
They say they are going to come back.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They have gone away.
They say they are going to come back.
By gone away, I mean gone and not to return.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #43
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By gone away, I mean gone and not to return.
Well to me it is permanent UNTIL (and that is a big until) they return.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #44
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've seen notices (and restructurings) like this before. If BOB does come back (in anything that resembles its current form) it will be one of the very, very few.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Well to me it is permanent UNTIL (and that is a big until) they return.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote