Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
sobedragon
sobedragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Formatting lost during epub to mobi conversion

Hello,

I have some experience with eBook publishing, so I am not a complete beginner.

I am new to using Sigil.

After spending quite a bit of time scouring blogs, forums, and FAQ's, I have yet to find an answer to my conversion issues.

When I use the Kindle Previewer to convert my epub, I get seemingly random formatting issues.

This is a problem through the Kindle Previewer and Kindle App on the iPhone/iPad.

Paragraphs are randomly indented.
Some-----text-----is-----fully-----justified-----where-----it-----shouldn't.

I am lost. Any sort of guidance would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
sobedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Try converting to az3, or convert to html then to mobi.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
This is not a Sigil (EPUB) question. Please post in the correct forum Moved
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
sobedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Try converting to az3, or convert to html then to mobi.
I will give it a try, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This is not a Sigil (EPUB) question. Please post in the correct forum Moved
I should have clarified more in my original text, but everything was created using Sigil. I thought perhaps I am missing an option to "force/keep formatting." I don't know.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobedragon View Post
I will give it a try, thanks.

I should have clarified more in my original text, but everything was created using Sigil. I thought perhaps I am missing an option to "force/keep formatting." I don't know.
The shirt my wife made on her Brother does not fit me.
Is it the sewing Machines fault? (Or the batch of Chocolate chip Cookies I snarfed ) The Pattern she used? Or the failure to consider the final Target wearer?

(FWIW My wife's creations DO FIT perfectly. I have the pin marks to prove the fitting sessions )

Sigil/Calibre-editor only help make (valid) EPUB.
There is no guarantee they (down?) convert as desired.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobedragon View Post
Hello,

I have some experience with eBook publishing, so I am not a complete beginner.

I am new to using Sigil.

After spending quite a bit of time scouring blogs, forums, and FAQ's, I have yet to find an answer to my conversion issues.

When I use the Kindle Previewer to convert my epub, I get seemingly random formatting issues.
I keep the Preview Pane open in Sigil, a bit narrower than the Code View window in which I do all my work. (Since Preview Pane came to live with us, I've almost never used Book View.) It is, for all practical purposes, WYSIWYG and gives a true picture of what you are building. I use the built-in validator (the green check on the toolbar) regularly. It does miss a few things that Epubcheck will throw up as an error, so you might use Epubcheck online as a final validation.

I then upload the epub directly to the KDP, let it convert, and download the converted book file, which calls itself a "mobi" though it is really a great deal more than that. I then use Kindle Previewer (also my Fire HD and sometimes an e-ink Kindle) to check every possible emulation.

I've never had a validated epub fail to convert just as I hoped it would.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
sobedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I keep the Preview Pane open in Sigil, a bit narrower than the Code View window in which I do all my work. (Since Preview Pane came to live with us, I've almost never used Book View.) It is, for all practical purposes, WYSIWYG and gives a true picture of what you are building. I use the built-in validator (the green check on the toolbar) regularly. It does miss a few things that Epubcheck will throw up as an error, so you might use Epubcheck online as a final validation.

I then upload the epub directly to the KDP, let it convert, and download the converted book file, which calls itself a "mobi" though it is really a great deal more than that. I then use Kindle Previewer (also my Fire HD and sometimes an e-ink Kindle) to check every possible emulation.

I've never had a validated epub fail to convert just as I hoped it would.
Thanks for the tip!