Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Asenjo
Asenjo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Help me find something scifi!

Okay, so first off, apologies if I put this in the wrong place. A friend of mine recommended this forum after I pestered him for hours about books, but I'm really, really new to it.

So what I'm after is this; something scifi
with romance (Even if a subplot)
from the point of view of the -guy.-

I'm very open in my scifi, so just about anything anyone can throw at me'd be welcome.

Anyone know of anything like this? XD

Last edited by Asenjo; 12-11-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Asenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Shards of Honor by Lois McMasters Bujold
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The sands of Mars by Arthur C. Clarke has a bit of a romantic subplot in the story. Not sure it's exactly what you're looking for though. Likewise "City at World's End" by Edmund Hamilton has the hero of the story in a romance.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
"Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death" by James Tiptree Junior. Only a short story, but very mushy. Really really romantic.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Shards of Honor is a good start.
But it is part of a long series (The Vorkosigan saga) that meets meet the specs in pretty much each volume. Although the main protagonist of the first two--Shards of Honor & Barrayar; available at Baen as a combined edition as Cordelia's Honor--is female. A latter arc in the series--Memory, Komarr & A Civil Campaign; the last two available as a combo entitled Miles in Love--feature romance a bit more prominently as a theme rather than just a story element, along with the mystery and sf elements.
The most recent in the series, Captain's Vorpatril's Alliance is mostly a standalone and, again, romance is a central theme along with the action and the caper aspects.

If you're flexible in your definition of SF, several of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover Novels fit the specs: The Spell Sword (with a general SF "fairy tale" plot) and its sequel, The Forbidden Tower (where "happily ever after" runs headlong in a stone wall of relative and culture-clash. ) both fit the bill.

Heinlein's Beyond this Horizon and Glory Road both run similar approaches; action, adventure, boy meets girl, boy wins girl...and what comes next? What *do* you do after you save the day and get the girl?

Poul Anderson's Tau Zero is hard SF with an enormous scope wrapped around a cross-cultural romance story.

James P. Hogan's Thrice upon a Time is a very good story of time travel and love in a time of cataclysm.

And if oddball humor and capers fits your interest, Harry Harrison's The Stainless Steel Rat finds the protagonist, Slippery Jim DiGriz, wooing Angelique the sociopathic killer of his dreams as she tries to seduce him back to a life of (unrestrained) crime.

Also on the oddball side, and likely hard to find: Donald Barr's Space Relations.
For starters it is a character-driven space (soap) opera that works. The core of the story is the romance of the two protagonists but it is hardly a fairy tale romance.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...pace-relations
It also has a few things to say about power and slavery and human nature. Not for everybody but those that like it seem to really like it.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Zahn's _Ikarus Hunt_ has a romance, if memory serves and is quite a good book (Allistair McLean style mystery in a sci-fi settings w/ characters who were supposed to be Han Solo and Chewbacca, but got changed).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Asenjo
Asenjo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Wow, amazing. I didn't expect there to be -this- many responses, nor this quickly, thanks! I only got introduced to the whole 'male side of romance' subplot thing by accident in a book from a garage sale- so I was sure it was a rarity. XD I'll be looking into these
Asenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asenjo View Post
Wow, amazing. I didn't expect there to be -this- many responses, nor this quickly, thanks! I only got introduced to the whole 'male side of romance' subplot thing by accident in a book from a garage sale- so I was sure it was a rarity. XD I'll be looking into these
Oh, it's not exactlyy common but there are quite a few stories where romance figures strongly. It is one of the key human motivations, after all.

If you want to try the fantasy side of the aisle, there are a few male-focused Romantic Comedies out there. One of the more amusing ones is John Moore's HEROICS FOR BEGINNERS.

There is a thread somewhere about male RomComs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=romcom

And another about non-specific SF/fantasy romance:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=romcom
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Hugh Howey and Dana Stabenow

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue (The Bern Saga #1) by Hugh Howey There are a total of 4.
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool #1-5) by Hugh Howey There's a 6 and 7 as well.
The Star Svensdotter Trilogy by Dana Stabenow They are also available as 3 different volumes.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series might fit the bill. He's written 4 so far with 3 more coming. They're Sci-Fi-ish with romantic sub-plots told from the male POV. His third book, The King of Plagues, broke my little old romantic heart! I recovered with book 4, and now I can't wait for his fifth which will be out sometime in 2013.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Heinlein's The Cat that Walked Through Walls
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote