Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
can nook read this file?

can nook read a scanned pdf like this? and all other scanned pdf?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eg.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	56487  
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I am sure it will open the PDF but you will not be able to read the text because it will be veeery tiny and Nook will not be able to reflow the text as it is only a picture not real text.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

is there anywhere i could solve it?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do you mean solve it? Do you mean convert into text? You have to use OCR software for that. As the scan appears very clear, you might be quite satisfied with the results....
Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

alright.. so i will be able to read it like normal ebooks on the nook after i use the OCR software?
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Thrasher
Groupie

Possibly. You will have to run it through OCR and your scans have to be in very good quality and resolution. You might possibly need to convert the scans into a file that the OCR can read. I haven't used OCR in years so I don't know how good they are these days...
After it is converted into text you obviously will have to convert it to ePub for best results using Calibre or similar software.
And after that yes, your Nook will be more than happy to read that ePub
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

wow! sounds like a lot of work! haha! or should i not get the nook?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Thrasher
Groupie

I would definitely consider other alternatives if all you want to read is scanned books and documents. Maybe you would be better off with an iPad or the Kindle DX, but the text might be too small to read even on a Kindle DX....
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
I'd second the iPad vote - you'll be able to zoom and scroll the PDF very easily using the iPad's native Book app, or something like GoodReader. That being said, the iPad as an eBook reader isn't for everyone - some love it, some hate it. I prefer my iPad indoors; it is useless in sunlight.

As for the Kindles, they can zoom in on PDFs, but expect to turn pages until the cows come home. If you softroot the Nook, you can install a 3rd-party PDF viewer which allows you to zoom and rotate PDFs.

Like Thrasher indicates, converting the text to OCR is usually your best bet for any reader, but I haven't had a great deal of success with OCR.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

i have a couple of scanned ones and the rest are normal pdf ebooks. really having a hard time.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
i have a couple of scanned ones and the rest are normal pdf ebooks. really having a hard time.
I like the brevity of your replies! I'm assuming that you mean that you are having a hard time deciding which reader to buy. I have a few, and they all have their pros and cons. My co-worker reads many PDFs and he swears by the Kindle DX, and I tend to agree - the extra real estate is really an advantage there.

If you have any other questions, post away...
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

yeah. my only concern is the scanned pdf. i mean, i dont see any problem putting the ebook pdf in any reader. but if there's one reader that can read my scanned pdf with not much of hassle. i would love it.