Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
Burnham_Bob
Burnham_Bob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Upgrade to 2.3 not working

My installation on Vista is 2.1. I know 2.3 is available but when I try to install it, I get options I've never seen before to repair, uninstall or change.

Normally the updates just install, but running the 2.3 installer doesn't upgrade the program.
Burnham_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnham_Bob View Post
My installation on Vista is 2.1. I know 2.3 is available but when I try to install it, I get options I've never seen before to repair, uninstall or change.

Normally the updates just install, but running the 2.3 installer doesn't upgrade the program.
Your download is a corrupt (ISP cached? you ain't the first it has happened to) version of your existing install, thus the offer to repair.

You can wait 2 weeks (friday is no release), Use the 'Portable' version in the interim.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Burnham_Bob - that's the message you get when you try to install the same version of any MSI. It is NOT what happens if your ISP is being too clever by half with download caching. I suspect theducks is misremembering

To be on the safe side backup libraries and configuration. Then uninstall, re-download from one of the alternate sites (just be sure) and reinstall. You wont lose anything if you back up everything (Sod's Law) but you'll have to 'reconnect' your libraries via Switch Create library.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-18-2014 at 07:35 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your download is a corrupt (ISP cached? you ain't the first it has happened to) version of your existing install, thus the offer to repair.

You can wait 2 weeks (friday is no release), Use the 'Portable' version in the interim.
If this had been the same problem, you could also download the installer from the GitHub releases page. As it downloads over secure HTTPS, it cannot be cached by the ISP.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
Burnham_Bob
Burnham_Bob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm tempted to leave it until the program itself prompts me to update on opening. At the moment the 'found new version' message appears bottom left. The program still works fine so as soon as another update appears I'll try again. Any reason that won't work? I thought I had upgraded to the latest version so maybe the installer is seeing that and the version number displayed in the program is wrong?

Last edited by Burnham_Bob; 09-19-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Burnham_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If this had been the same problem, you could also download the installer from the GitHub releases page. As it downloads over secure HTTPS, it cannot be cached by the ISP.
Is that link on the calibre site or in the manual - I'll wager not more than 5% of calibre users would know of GitHub, and most Limeys/Poms would think it was a reference to Piccadilly Circus on a Saturday night

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Is that link on the calibre site or in the manual - I'll wager not more than 5% of calibre users would know of GitHub, and most Limeys/Poms would think it was a reference to Piccadilly Circus on a Saturday night

BR
I think the idea may have been to have people referred there if necessary from people here in the know. (As in, people who are aware to look, because they suggested it or watched it be suggested.)

It seems it is almost too good to be true (to have GitHub host unlimited binary releases) so Kovid doesn't want to make use of it anymore than is strictly necessary.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote