Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
thecyberphotog
thecyberphotog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
Newbie. First post.

Hi there,

I just joined this forum as I just purchased my Sony PRS300. I was wondering if it is possible to purchase book on kindle and convert it to be used with Sony eReader?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...B
thecyberphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations on your new 300 and welcome to MR, thecyberphotog

I have a Sony 505 and don't have any experience with the "Kindle only" ebooks.

My basic understanding is that you can not just buy a Kindle ebook and then read it on your Sony.

There is a way around this IF you are willing and have tech experience enough to run scripts and some other programs. It may or may not be illegal to do this, depending on where you live. (More experienced MR members: If this is not correct, please correct.)

The MR Wiki has a lot of information about formats and ebook stores.

One of the advantages of the Sony Reader is that there are many ebook stores that carry formats compatible for it.

Let us know what you like to read and we can suggest some ebook store sites to explore.
Have you explored feedbooks (free ebooks) and smashwords (free and for purchase) yet?

I have a list of MobileRead (MR) Authors on Feedbooks that you may want to check. These MR authors have very generously put their work on feedbooks for free.

My signature lists some MR author members you may want to check out. I have enjoyed quite a few of their books.

Have you checked out all the free ebooks right here on MR in ePub and those in Sony format (lrf) that have been beautifully handformatted by some very dedicated MR members?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Welcome, thecyberphotog.
I believe you need to have a kindle to buy from amazon. You can also install kindle for pc of course. Ebooks bought from amazon can only be read on the kindle or the pc.
If you wanted to read them on any other device you would have to remove the drm. As far as I know there is still no way to remove the drm from the books bought through kindle for pc, so the answer to your question is, to the best of my knowledge, that no, at the moment you can't convert them for your sony.
There are however a lot of ebook stores that sell epub books for your sony, and of course all the great ebook sources that dreams kindly listed above.
Have fun with your new device!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
thecyberphotog

Thanks for your replies.

I am interested in new releases. For example, looking for Howie Mandel's new book in ebook format. You know of a good site for new releases?

Thanks and I look forward to your replies.

...B
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecyberphotog View Post
Hi there,

I just joined this forum as I just purchased my Sony PRS300. I was wondering if it is possible to purchase book on kindle and convert it to be used with Sony eReader?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...B
Welcome to MobileRead,

You can download KindleforPC, and buy and read Kindle books on your pc, but there is no legal or illegal way right now to put them on your Sony. No one has been able to crack the drm on the Kindle for pc.

Enjoy your reading!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
http://ebookprice.info/

The above link is one that I remember for searching a specific book.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ppp.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	41204

There may be others, but I don't remember right now.

EDIT: here is another site to try when looking for books.

http://inkmesh.com/

the book you mentioned seems to be the same price at Sony and Amazon http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/heres-deal-howie-mandel-ebook/?qs=mandel

Last edited by dreams; 12-13-2009 at 11:12 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
thecyberphotog

Thanks again for the reply. Not on the Sony site yet that link you sent shows that it is. Regardless I found B&N site, downloaded it and calibre appeared to convert and load on Reader, yet when I try to read it there is an error, saying 'Protected Page'. It was epub format but didn't work. Why would that be? Also I am from Canada so wondering ig I do not have much choice.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply. If it is going to be this difficult then just might be taking this reader back.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I think B&N use an advanced form of epub, with different encryption. Devices other than the nook can't read these ebooks yet.
I don't know what stores are available to you in Canada, but the sony library software should direct you to some. And there are a lot of Canadians here you can ask.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote