Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
sjf
sjf began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
technical PDFs on Nook

I've all but settled on the Nook as my eReader of choice. I understand that it is not the PDF renderer champion. I wonder if any one can post some images of what a technical PDF looks like on the Nook. Specifically, I would like to keep processor datasheets and view them. Such as: http://www.marvell.com/products/proc...OpenSource.pdf

For instance, if it could not render the tables in this document legibly, I guess I would have to look elsewhere. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of doc, or perhaps some images of what they look like ?

Much appreciated.

sjf
sjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
most force size pdfs don't render well on any ebook readers save a kindle DX, thats the 500 dollar big one.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
sjf
sjf began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
So, I bought a Nook a few days ago and I am both surprised and not surprised by its abilities in terms of PDF. For the viewing datasheet use case, I really don;t think it is too bad. With the font size set to small, pages render pretty much as expected. Since I don't read datasheets for hours on end (ok, I'm an engineer, and that's a lie) they're fine. Any larger though, the formatting can get very messy. Tables can get completely reformatted - usually to a useless single column list. Other text only PDFs can be rendered very well at the larger font sizes. The issue seems to be whether or not the pdf has hard <cr> at the right hand side - even if the paragraph has not ended. Some clearly do, some not. Those that do end up resized with sentences that
end for no reason, then pick up on the following line.
A little annoying.
sjf is offline   Reply With Quote