Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
CNET Review is in. They like it!!!!

They don't even mention the Sony readers in the review. It's Nook v. Kindle.

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...CarouselArea.0
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
And Engadget doent seem to bee to hot about it. Then again everyone will have their own opinions
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Take a look at their video review while you're at the CNET site. You get the editor's tone of voice. I almost sense enthusiasm.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
No text or Word files.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
In my opinion, Kindle is also the primary competitor as they offer some of the same type of services. Of Sony's Readers, it would be The Daily reader (the 900), and that's not released yet AFAIK.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The thing is pretty much like the Kindle no?

I mean, there ain't much here folks.

Cute little color screen thingie. which probably would be fun for a day or two (if it worked )

But i'm sure everyone will like it.

And if it didn't have any issues what would we have to talk about here?

("Gosh I love it" can get pretty tired...just kidding )
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Jones View Post
Cute little color screen thingie.
It kills the battery, it's laggy, and one reviewer said the color makes no difference.

He even said he preferred to use it in text mode.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
It kills the battery, it's laggy, and one reviewer said the color makes no difference.

He even said he preferred to use it in text mode.
I'm not sure.

Your point are valid certainly, but you can see the logic in having the dual screen format.

One screen for reading (very little power), and one for navigation.

Thing is, the color 'navigation' screen apparently doesn't work right.

So mo likely this thing is beta and we is ginny pigs!!!

(I don't really talk like that )
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Well, another reviewer said, about the touch screen (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Nook preserves the same pleasurable reading experience, but tucks in the capacitive-touch LCD screen for added control. In its 1.0 implementation, Nook is not as fast or as smooth as it should be, but already it's showing that the second screen is not a gimmick.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
Well, another reviewer said, about the touch screen (emphasis mine):
I found that review to be ridiculously fanboyish.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
It's too bad really. If it were fast, I'd like it. If it were fast and the LCD were more useful, I'd really like it. If it were fast and the LCD were more useful and the e-paper were better, I'd love it. Nothing wrong with the fundamental design, but the hardware and software are just too janky to make it worthwhile.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
To heck with Kindle OR Nook!

Ea do you really look like your avatar????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ae.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	40861  

Last edited by Rootman; 12-07-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
To heck with Kindle OR Nook!

Ea do you really look like your avatar????
That's the best line I've seen all day.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Jones View Post
The thing is pretty much like the Kindle no?

I mean, there ain't much here folks.
This.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I found that review to be ridiculously fanboyish.
Well, I find your posts to be ridiculously adversarial, so I suppose it all evens out?
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote