Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Edd666666
Enthusiast
Edd666666 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle upload error message?

Hi, I tried to upload a html file to Kindle and received the following error message:

Attention
Error code: ConversionGeneratedEmptyDoc Error message: ************************************* * Kindle Creator V6.01 build 41 * * Copyright Amazon.com 2003-2007 * ************************************* Error(core): Failed conversion to unicode. The resulting string may contain wrong characters. Er

Does anyone know what I did wrong or how to find out what this error code means?

Thanks, Ed
Edd666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Edd666666
Enthusiast

Kindle upload error message?

Hi, I tried to upload a html file to Kindle and received the following error message:

Attention
Error code: ConversionGeneratedEmptyDoc Error message: ************************************* * Kindle Creator V6.01 build 41 * * Copyright Amazon.com 2003-2007 * ************************************* Error(core): Failed conversion to unicode. The resulting string may contain wrong characters. Er

Does anyone know what I did wrong or how to find out what this error code means?

Thanks, Ed
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
why dont you create your on Mobi Pocket files for the Kindle that.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168

Mobi pocket creator is a free tool you can use to create mobi books http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilsCreator.asp

and remember all of this is free. and you have a greater control over the output

Last edited by Andybaby; 01-06-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Edd666666
Enthusiast

Hi Andybaby, thanks for responding to my question, that was great. Andybaby, I did not understand what in particular you were referring to on this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168

Could you please let me know if there was one post you were suggesting I look at?

From you response, It sounds like you are suggesting I do not try to post the html file directly to kindle, but instead post the html file to mobipocket and then post the file to kindle from mobipocket. Is this correct?

Thanks again Andybaby. By the way I love you description of yourself as a zealot, that is cool. Ed
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Windows MobiPocket Reader and Windows MobiPocket Creator can import HTML and export a MOBI file that you can then copy via USB to your Kindle. So the conversion happens on your PC.

However, Amazon is using a very similar program to do the conversion for you. So I'm not sure this helps.

I don't know much about HTML, which is why I did not reply earlier. I think your problem might be that the HTML is identifying the wrong charset, see Wiki: Character encodings in HTML. Even is this is the case, I'm don't know what tool you should use to fix the problem.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was suggesting you look at all of them. as they all refer to the Creation of Mobi Pocket Files

Im assuming you are trying to email it to your kindle or something right? I never Attempted this when i had my Kindle. but i did convert everything I would Read on my Kindle to Mobi Pocket myself, That way i could Format the Files as i Saw Fit(i like large indents and double returns between paragraphs).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914 is a Guide On Learning to Use Mobi.

the Program I currently use for book Creation, Book Designer https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786 seems to also be able to export to MobiPocket Format. I just Tried it and it didnt come out too Bad. You need Microsoft word on your computer for book designer i believe.

and the Zealot thing is just my User title set by the Site, i assume because i have over 100 posts.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Edd666666
Enthusiast

anyone understand this response?

I ran across this answer to a person having a similar problem, and I wonder if this would shed any light on the issue I am having because I don't understand what the response below means. If anyone understands this and thinks it can apply to my issue, could you please let me know. Thanks, Ed.

Error code: ConversionGeneratedEmptyDoc Error message
Posted: May 27, 2008 2:38 PM
Click to reply to this thread Reply

I am attempting to upload a .zip document with a very clean index.html doc inside it (including a few .jpgs).

I receive the following error message after pressing "Upload":

/* BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE */

/* END ERROR MESSAGE */

The problem with this error message is that it contains more header detail than detail identifying the error.

I discovered that my font encoding was incorrect. Changing it from utf-8 to the western iso corrected the problem.

However, the error message remains obtuse. I would like to see the line number where the error is first encountered, or have the option for it to open to a new tab where more specific details may be displayed.

Thanks

kreelanwarrior

Re: Error code: ConversionGeneratedEmptyDoc Error message
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:21 PM in response to: kindlecat
Click to reply to this thread Reply

buck -

yeah, the error code isn't very helpful, but at least you were able to fix it! i know some others were having similar trouble on another thread - hopefully they'll see this and know what to do. bravo! :-)

cheers,
mike
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard

Basically what the Error was it could not Understand Unicode, but could understand ASCII

Quote:
One of the most common storage formats is ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange).ASCII is 7-bit, giving a total of 128 possible characters. In most cases, it is extended to 8-bit, giving a full 256. Older systems, and some current ones as well, use ASCII as the primary format for storing text. These include: DOS, Mac-OS, Windows 95 (not the NT/2000 series).

Unfortunately, given the rather small number of possible characters in ASCII, it is unable to represent any languages besides English and other western languages.

The solution to this dilemma is Unicode. In Unicode, each logical character is represented by a 32-bit integer, giving a total 65535 characters that can represented. This allows Unicode to represent all the ASCII codes, the characters of other languages, and leaves plenty of room for expansion.
Just Install Mobi Pocket Creator and convert it yourself. it would take all of 3 seconds to get the same result Amazon would give you. or you can go edit the HTML to your liking after you import it into Mobi.