Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
SolKitty
SolKitty began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Time for an Upgrade - Help!

Hi everyone!

Recently, I've been pondering my options for a new e-reader and honestly, I am feeling overwhelmed and seeking a sense of direction. Any advice from your wealth of knowledge/experience is welcome!

I'm primarily a user of my local library, which uses Overdrive/epub primarily. This has led me to consider the KA1 for some time - yet, I'm reluctant; I've read a great deal about quality control issues and I am concerned about having issues after purchase. Is this really as prevalent as it seems?

Additionally, being a small person with small hands, I wonder if it would feel too large to handle. To give you some perspective, my previous device is a Nook Simple Touch, 6". I may be using this on my commutes on the subway, too.

My next consideration has been for a Kindle device; though I wonder how compatible this is with Overdrive? How much of a hassle is it to download/borrow library books?

Next, I've been hearing about Calibre/side-loading books, but how involved is this? Does this cross legal/moral grounds by removing the DRM?

I've been stalking these forums for a while and trying to absorb it all, but I finally decided a post may help me put it all together.

Thanks in advance!
SolKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Remember people that are generally happy with their devices don't come on forums.

Now what country are you in?
You don't have to de DRM books to use calibre as a folder.
Kindle in the US also uses Overdrive.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
SolKitty

I am in the US.

And you are right, I understand that the unhappy people will always be the most vocal. I suppose I'm just hoping to hear some positive assurances from the other side, too.

I will actually read up on Calibre shortly. I think I have been getting it confused in discussions involving converting file formats, DRM, etc. I do like the idea of being able to more easily organize my books on my ereader!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolKitty View Post
I am in the US.

And you are right, I understand that the unhappy people will always be the most vocal. I suppose I'm just hoping to hear some positive assurances from the other side, too.

I will actually read up on Calibre shortly. I think I have been getting it confused in discussions involving converting file formats, DRM, etc. I do like the idea of being able to more easily organize my books on my ereader!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293375
A great thread on beginning to use Calibre.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
The confusion is that calibre does all that, except for removing the DRM. Some options that calibre has are only availlable on DRM free books. There is a 3rd party plugin from Apprentice Alf that will install into calibre and take care of the removal of DRM. Without this plugin, which does not come with calibre or from the same place, you are completely safe morally or legally.

And you are right, removing DRM is crossing some legal or moral red tape. Even here in the US it has not been proven in court whether removal of DRM on ebooks is legal under Fair Use or not.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Kindle is VERY overdrive friendly. I just rented my first ebook and it was automatically sent wirelessly to my kindle.

I am not sure how to use overdrive with a Nook. I just know when I rent a library book they send to my kindle'

If you have small hands you will like the Kindle Voyage or the first generation oasis. Thinner and lighter than the paperwhite. Very petite. If you need to go on the cheap I do like my Nook Glowlight over a paperwhite. I love the night mode and feels wonderful in the hands. Feels very sturdy and durable.

Also if you are in the USA you can go to Best Buy to buy and look at kindle models and B&N store to handle the nook

Last edited by HLS; 12-31-2017 at 12:07 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:16 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Kindle is VERY overdrive friendly.
Only in one country in the world, unfortunately. Luckily, the OP lives there!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:32 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Only in one country in the world, unfortunately. Luckily, the OP lives there!
And not all libraries support Kindle books in Overdrive either – unless that's changed recently. The Fort Worth library seems to let you choose Kindle or ePub on just about every book you borrow. And it is extremely easy.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And not all libraries support Kindle books in Overdrive either – unless that's changed recently. The Fort Worth library seems to let you choose Kindle or ePub on just about every book you borrow. And it is extremely easy.
And for overdrive, sometimes epub is available and kindle isn't (although this is relatively rare).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And for overdrive, sometimes epub is available and kindle isn't (although this is relatively rare).
When I lived in North Richland Hills (a Fort Worth "suburb" with its own library system) most Overdrive books were in ePub format – although they were starting to get a few Kindle books as well. In the three (or so) years I've been in Fort Worth this may have changed. I don't know.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Using Calibre to read a book you're legally entitled to read on a different device may be considered immoral by some, just as complimenting someone when you're not sure they deserve it is lying and is immoral. Some sins are really worth doing.

The key is to not get books you aren't entitled to. Which device you use shouldn't matter.

As for Kindles and Kobos, I have both. My preference is for Kindles both both are excellent devices and worth having. My Kobos are older models and get used a lot and have had no hardware problems at all.

I live in a retirement home and I've also helped a lot of my neighbors get ereaders, both Kobos and Kindles, and none of them have had any problems.

Actually the only problem I've had with one was recently when an older Kindle's battery became kind of flaky. I just replaced it with a slightly less flaky battery from Ebay.

My suggestion is to read up on the features of the two brands and get the one you prefer. They're both excellent.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
SolKitty

Thank you so much for the information, everyone! This has been very helpful!

I am now taking a closer look at the Kindle models and will probably try one out in a local store.

I'm glad to hear that Overdrive will actually work with the Kindle, as I had gotten the impression that Kobo was the only way to go for compatibility with Overdrive. Hearing that library books can be downloaded wirelessly to the Kindle is definitely a convenience.

It's nice to see that the Kindle Voyage has touch "sensors"; I think I would miss having physical buttons on the side for page-turning so the sensors are at least a compromise there.

Also, I have a better understanding of Calibre and may be using it in the future for my collection(s).
Old 12-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that Overdrive will actually work with the Kindle, as I had gotten the impression that Kobo was the only way to go for compatibility with Overdrive. Hearing that library books can be downloaded wirelessly to the Kindle is definitely a convenience.
Easiest way to check is to head off to your local library's web page and see if they offer Kindle downloads. If they don't, calibre and Apprentice Alf are your new best friends. The chances are pretty good it will support Kindle since about 90% of US public libraries offer both epub and Kindle ebooks according to one item I read a while back. You may also have a library that does not use Overdrive--they are the biggest but not the only supplier.

The Overdrive/Kobo confusion probably comes from the Overdrive integration on the Kobo KA1. This lets me checkout books from the local library on my KA1 and sync them to my KA1. This has limitations in that the copy on my KA1 actually comes from Kobo's servers and not the library servers so if Kobo does not have the identical ebook (same ISBN), I will not be able to borrow it directly and will have to go the ADE/sideload route. OTOH, once I borrow a book on my KA1, it becomes available on any of my Kobo ereaders.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you had a nook, you've been reading ePub. A Kobo Aura H2O (new edition) is almost the same size and has a 6.8" screen. Very nice size if you find a 7" or 7.8" screen to be too big. The H2O is compatible with Overdrive and you get a larger than 6" screen with a comfort light (like the Kobo Aura One, nook Glowlight 3, or Oasis mark 2.). You also get more options for fonts and settings. Plus, with the patches available here (MR), you get even more customization. Also given that the H2O2 supports ePub, don't have to convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #15
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess I am lucky. My library offers Kindle, epub books, open epub, pdf ebooks, overdrive read along.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote