Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
OP has stated wants PDF functionality with exportable annotation. Can Oasis do that?
Actually yes, it can do that. With one exception, it appears it is only capable of highlighting and adding notes to pdfs that have a text layer. If the pdf is a scanned image for the page, then adding a note or highlight is not available. The exporting has to be done by copying the my clippings.txt file. Online is only possible for books in the cloud, not sideloaded directly. Pdf can only be sideloaded, not from cloud far as I understand.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF is a bad idea on eInk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #18
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
PDF is a bad idea on eInk.
It depends on the hardware and software. It is quite adequate if you have the right tools. I read and annotate text and image PDFs on an Onyx T68. It works very well, but unfortunately the T68 touch screen is inaccurate and the processor is slow. I expect later Onyx versions have better touch screens and faster processors. So actually PDF on e-ink can work very well.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But to get the hardware needed for PDF to do OK on eInk is going to be very expensive. Much more than the OP is wanting to spend.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
It depends on the hardware and software. It is quite adequate if you have the right tools. I read and annotate text and image PDFs on an Onyx T68. It works very well, but unfortunately the T68 touch screen is inaccurate and the processor is slow. I expect later Onyx versions have better touch screens and faster processors. So actually PDF on e-ink can work very well.
Let me rephrase the wolf's comment; all of the common ereaders are lousy for PDF. Only the specialty ereaders are good for PDF.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No, that is a bad habit in the USA to show prices before tax. Germany (and I believe the rest of the EU) is required to post prices including tax online and in B&M stores. Both prices in amazon.de and amazon.fr mentioned that it included tax.
But I don't live in the USA. Canadian stores are much the same though with the sticker price not reflects HST or GST or GST/PST or whatever other odd acronyms used across the country. The only consolation is that consumer stuff only gets provincial and federal sales taxes. I was in one place in the USA and the sales tax involved four different percentages for city on up to state (I don't think there was a federal chunk but I could be wrong). Move 10 meters and you're outside the city so recalculate the taxes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
But I don't live in the USA. Canadian stores are much the same though with the sticker price not reflects HST or GST or GST/PST or whatever other odd acronyms used across the country. The only consolation is that consumer stuff only gets provincial and federal sales taxes. I was in one place in the USA and the sales tax involved four different percentages for city on up to state (I don't think there was a federal chunk but I could be wrong). Move 10 meters and you're outside the city so recalculate the taxes.
You are correct on the sales tax. I am not sure about other states but in Texas, I believe at least 5% of the sales tax goes to the state, then the rest can be split between the county and various cities in that county.
Odd example, if you buy something at the country club in Odessa, Tx. City sales tax goes to Odessa but the county tax goes to Midland County. Most of Odessa is in Ector county.

Note: there is no sales tax on most foods sold in grocery stores in Texas. Chips, soft drinks and restaurants are taxed.
Good rule of thumb in Texas, just estimate 10% extra for taxes and you will get change back in most areas.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Let me rephrase the wolf's comment; all of the common ereaders are lousy for PDF. Only the specialty ereaders are good for PDF.
Specialty = 13.3" screen
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #24
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Specialty = 13.3" screen
+ Onyx. Pajamaman was talking about Onyx.

Onyxes are Androids. On Android, you can choose among dozens of apps to view PDF files and do annotation and highlighting. Inside such an abundance of options, at least one must work.

On any other eink device there is no such luck, as long as they don't employ Android. If the OP does not want an Onyx, the next best option is an Android tablet.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For a tablet, the best thing is an iPad. Android is not as good. GoodReader (best app for dealing with PDF) is iOS only.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
For a tablet, the best thing is an iPad. Android is not as good. GoodReader (best app for dealing with PDF) is iOS only.
Happy New Year.

I like my Android just fine for PDF.

Spoiler:
I didn't expect my prediction to come true so soon in the new year.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm glad you like your android tablet. Is there an app for android as good as GoodReader for iOS?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I'm glad you like your android tablet. Is there an app for android as good as GoodReader for iOS?
I typically use UB reader for pdfs and have never had a problem.
Hey I think we need to clarify something.
Are you talking reading books in pdf or manuals or something else?
Mine are all typically manuals.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I typically use UB reader for pdfs and have never had a problem.
Hey I think we need to clarify something.
Are you talking reading books in pdf or manuals or something else?
Mine are all typically manuals.
I'm talking doing things like highlighting, marking, and many other things.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I'm talking doing things like highlighting, marking, and many other things.
I thought you might be so in answer to your question I have no clue because if I need to mark a book, I typically get a paper copy and make a working copy or print out the pdf to have a working copy.
Note when I am done the working copy is typically unusable.