Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: When Was The Last Time That You Read A PBook?
Why, today of course! 48 27.59%
Just this week, mate! 25 14.37%
I declare! Some time earlier this month, I s'pose. 22 12.64%
Hmm...I think it was no longer than six months ago... 17 9.77%
A point of time exactly between 182.621099 days and 365.242199 days, on the dot! 10 5.75%
If you absolutely *must* know, last year. 14 8.05%
It was a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. 30 17.24%
What is this "paper" that you speak of? 8 4.60%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Question When Was The Last Time You Read A PBook?

I have started reading a pbook and I hate it! It doesn't help that this pbook is rather large, paperback and unwieldy, and I am trying to take notes and highlight while reading. And I miss the dictionary at the tap of a finger!

This was the first paperback I've read in quite awhile. I wasn't against reading one, it's just that every book I've read recently until now has been available as an ebook.

So I wonder about the rest of you. When was the last time you read a pbook and how did you like the experience of it? (And not just glancing through or reading a few pages, or using a reference for a minute, but reading at least a good portion of a book.)
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hmmm... good question. I remember reading Jim Butcher's Changes, #12 in the Dresden Files, in paper, because I was cheesed off at the price of the ebook. I bought a couple of books on archaic language that I've browsed through, but not really read. I can't really remember another novel I've read in paper, though I'm sure there's probably been one or two.

Oh, I bought the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition, which is an enormous hardback, but again it's not something you really sit down and read.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It was Spring Snow for the Literary Book Club, and it's the last book I finished.

I prefer reading on my devices. They're lightweight, I can adjust the font according to my visual acuity of the moment, I can keep one in my purse and I can read in bed with them. But too many books I'd like to read, especially backlist and OOP books, must be read in pbook or not at all. And worse: when a book can be bought in pbook format for shipping plus change and an Agency publisher wants $12.99 for it, I have to go for the cheaper option.

So there it is. I see myself reading more pbooks in the immediate future.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I've read around 4 paper books compared to around 45 ebooks this year. I picked up a Agatha Christie last week and read that but before that it was a good 6 months.

EBOOKS RULE
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
If you count graphic novels, then today actually. I'm still not completely satisfied with digitized comics. Not a high enough resolution for either the scans or devices.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I sat down and plowed through a short Resident Evil book because I had forgotten what had happened in a certain area. It was an enjoyable afternoon while the Hot Dog slept on my chest.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I chose "I declare! Some time earlier this month, I s'pose.", but it was October 12th to be exact, so 1 month and 17 days ago.

I will be reading more next year as I will be reading and rereading a few series that I continue to buy in paper.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think that the Paper book I recently got around to reading, had just been transcribed from Clay Tablets when it was printed and will not hit the Electron Edition for another Century or two.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Did you have to read the whole book for it to count? I read just over half of 'Brunelleschi's Dome' by Ross King about the construction of the dome on the cathedral in Florence. I had read it before a number of years ago, but then brought it with me on vacation in July. Ended up reading it on the airplane on the flight home.

I think that's the only paper book I have read in at least a year. It is just too easy to use my kindle or my phone these days.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I have a library book I'm reading right now. Isn't available to borrow through OverDrive and I don't want to pay the $9.99 ebook price.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It just so happens that I found a copy of The Little World of Don Camillo at my parent's place last week and I've always wanted to read that.

There's no e-copy available to me so I borrowed it and started it last night.

Otherwise, the last pbook I read was in early September.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I tried to read a library pbook recently. It didn't grab me, and I missed the dictionary being right there, so I thankfully went back to my ebooks.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I just finished an ebook this evening. My next book is only available as a paper book. Of the last five books I have read (including the one just finished) three have been paper and two ebooks. The number one by far criteria for me is what book do I want to read. That normally decides the ebook or paper question right there. If both formats are available then issue of cost (if the book is available in my local library I will read that) takes priority.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Today for a significant chunk of a hardcover book I'm using for a term paper, and three days ago for a pair of paperback novels which I finished and dropped off at the library.

I'm okay with both paper or electronic books and the only significant reading experience difference between the two for me is that I can more conveniently read the latter in the rain.

Well, that and graphic novels/artbooks/reference tomes usually work significantly better on paper.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Just last month. Couldn't find an ebook of Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves, so I had to go to the library and read a hard copy. So last century.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote