Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Reader for DRM PDF files questions

I currently use the GEB1150 and love it. In fact I've purchased 3 total and given 2 away to friends. I have no problem converting nearly every file type...except PDF of course. There are lots of books I want to read that come as PDF downloads so I'd like to buy a back a backup reader specifically for PDF files. Nothing elaborate or complicated, just ebooks.

I don't care for E-ink so those readers are out. In fact, I bought a Sony PR500 and returned it within a week. A requisite is back lighting for anything I get.

What I've figured out so far is Palms seem to be the way to go. Is this correct? I also have a very noobish questions - will I have any trouble adding DRM PDFs to a reader? I'd hate to buy something then find out DRMs are a problem!

Thanks

Any suggestions for a reader would be appreciated as well. Looking at the TX though I don't need all the bells and whistles. Decent size screen, easy to use and backlit is what I'm looking for.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn
I also have a very noobish questions - will I have any trouble adding DRM PDFs to a reader? I'd hate to buy something then find out DRMs are a problem!
DRM will always be a problem. The purpose of DRM is not to prevent piracy - but to lock you into a service/hardware/software.

When you pay money for something with DRM on it, you are not "buying" it. You are renting it. You are permitted to use the DRMed content within a very narrow set of restrictions created by the DRM owner. A set of restrictions that the DRM owner can change at any time, without warning or compensation.

For me, I will not pay money for anything with DRM on it.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I agree DRM is terrible but I'm kind of stuck. My genre of choice is very hard to find and I know I can purchase quite a few books I want but can't find them in anything but PDF format. If I purchase a PDA that supports PDF can I assume that purchased DRM PDFs can be read? If so, I'd appreciate your PDA suggestions.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn
I agree DRM is terrible but I'm kind of stuck. My genre of choice is very hard to find and I know I can purchase quite a few books I want but can't find them in anything but PDF format. If I purchase a PDA that supports PDF can I assume that purchased DRM PDFs can be read? If so, I'd appreciate your PDA suggestions.
Yup. You're stuck. DRMed PDFs will work ONLY on Windows (maybe Mac) PCs. Period. No Palms. No eBook readers.

That's what DRM does.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:16 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
And DRM PDF files are even hard to crack, so you're really stuck.
With .lit format you can at least use convertLIT to strip the DRM away and convert them to a format that actually works on your device...and it also works on most Windows PDAs...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote