Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
yuchao
yuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo glo
my kobo keeps crashing

I just recieved my glo yesterday, and i wanted to read mibi books in Chinese, so i put some .ttf files into the \fonts folder in the device. Then i copy some Chinese books and start to read, but it turns out nothing goes right.

This glo starts to crash like every one or two minite, it seems to be right only if i dont read books with Chinese fonts. Finally, it is frozen and stuck in the welcome screen, I tried alot of method to get it back, but it every time i reset it, it would stuck in the screen with five little squres. Then I tried charging it with my phone recharger, some how it come to life( I still dont know why.)

After that I didnt try to open any book, i turned to factory reset. I setup and update the firmware to version 3.0.1, and i hope that would help. I put one Chinese font and two Chinese books in, but it still keeps crashing, sometimes when i tap the home button or when i set the front light or font size.

Then i delete all books in Chinese, only to try some English books, and everything is fine now, no crashings, no stuckings, no resettings. But I really want the Chinese fonts and Chinese books...
Can anyone give some help here?
yuchao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuchao View Post
I just recieved my glo yesterday, and i wanted to read mibi books in Chinese, so i put some .ttf files into the \fonts folder in the device. Then i copy some Chinese books and start to read, but it turns out nothing goes right.

This glo starts to crash like every one or two minite, it seems to be right only if i dont read books with Chinese fonts. Finally, it is frozen and stuck in the welcome screen, I tried alot of method to get it back, but it every time i reset it, it would stuck in the screen with five little squres. Then I tried charging it with my phone recharger, some how it come to life( I still dont know why.)

After that I didnt try to open any book, i turned to factory reset. I setup and update the firmware to version 3.0.1, and i hope that would help. I put one Chinese font and two Chinese books in, but it still keeps crashing, sometimes when i tap the home button or when i set the front light or font size.

Then i delete all books in Chinese, only to try some English books, and everything is fine now, no crashings, no stuckings, no resettings. But I really want the Chinese fonts and Chinese books...
Can anyone give some help here?
Have you checked the Summary of Modified Fonts thread? It can be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204363

The font file naming is critical as is power cycling the ereader after adding a new font. To see the font family name under Windows, use the Windows Font Viewer (see attached image). Very often the names of the font files have little resemblance to the internal font name.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fontname.png
Views:	303
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	120461  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It really sounds like the Chinese books have some issues. Not sure what the source was, but redownloading them or checking them out with epub checking software might be a good idea. I know others have read Chinese so it should be poosible.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
It really sounds like the Chinese books have some issues. Not sure what the source was, but redownloading them or checking them out with epub checking software might be a good idea. I know others have read Chinese so it should be poosible.
try logging out of your kobo account and reclogging back in

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
yuchao
yuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of lightyuchao is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo glo
thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you checked the Summary of Modified Fonts thread? It can be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204363

The font file naming is critical as is power cycling the ereader after adding a new font. To see the font family name under Windows, use the Windows Font Viewer (see attached image). Very often the names of the font files have little resemblance to the internal font name.

Regards,
David
Thank you, guys. It is very helpful!

I changed the font file names according to the font name in the windows-font-viewer, and it seems all right -- for now, at least. One of the font names in the font viewer is in Chinese(Microsoft Yahei bold), and I named the font name in Chinese, too. There seems no problems with the Chinese font name, and I am still checking for other problems. I really wish my kobo would be nice to me this time!

P.S.: Chinese book titles displayed in the Kobo glo is still like this :□ό□□□ώ□□,□□е□□□à±﹣, I didn't find any settings about book title font.
yuchao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuchao View Post
P.S.: Chinese book titles displayed in the Kobo glo is still like this :□ό□□□ώ□□,□□е□□□à±﹣, I didn't find any settings about book title font.
One thing you can try is replacing the pre-installed Japanese Gothic font by a Chinese Gothic font, see this thread, and this discussion.

If this does not work, you can try to change the font face for titles and authors, see the Modifications for Bad Eyes (take care to use the version that matches your firmware version). The problem with this solution is that you have at least to open one kepub.epub using the font you have chosen or to open an epub and select this font from the font menu in order to make it available to the interface, see this thread.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese font, crash, glo