Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Audiobooks with narrators who are not so good

So what Audiobook narrators don't you like?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I just started listening to audiobooks so I'm far from an expert, but I tried Slaughterhouse-Five read by Ethan Hawke. I assume he was chosen for his name, not his skills as a narrator. His voice changes frequently in volume so that I can't hear when he is speaking softly, but when I turn it up and he changes character in a much louder voice it hurts the eardrums. I do sometimes have this problem in movies too, which is why I prefer ebooks, but I'm listening while walking.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
There have been a couple of readers that I didn't like, but I don't think those readers have done many books. There are a number that I think are outstanding, but all the one's who have multiple books over a period of time do a pretty good job.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what Audiobook narrators don't you like?
Allyson Johnson. She's the reader of the David Weber Honor Harrington books, and she definitely does not improve the books. The choice of accents are totally inappropriate and jarring. On the plus side, her sense of pace is good, and the books do flow well. But hokey accents for characters just doesn't cut it. There are lots of ways to differentiate characters by tone, pitch and pace without resorting to poorly done, mostly regional US, accents for characters in a different universe and time.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

Ian Carmichael; he is narrating 'Thrones, Dominations' by Dorothy L Sayers, which I'm listening to at the moment. He sounds smug and patronising, and is obviously totally incapable of doing 'the voices' so every character sounds like every other character, and they all sound like the narration.

Basically, Ian Carmichael appears to be incapable of sounding like anyone other than Ian Carmichael. :-(
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Allyson Johnson. She's the reader of the David Weber Honor Harrington books, and she definitely does not improve the books. The choice of accents are totally inappropriate and jarring. On the plus side, her sense of pace is good, and the books do flow well. But hokey accents for characters just doesn't cut it. There are lots of ways to differentiate characters by tone, pitch and pace without resorting to poorly done, mostly regional US, accents for characters in a different universe and time.
You should try to get copies of the Honor Harrington books read by Madelyn Buzzard. She did a number of the books in the series that are available free through the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, if you know someone who meets the criteria for that site. Her versions are much better than Allyson Johnson's, IMO.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who would have access to those, Xanthe. I'd certainly prefer an alternate reader.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_Smith View Post
Ian Carmichael; he is narrating 'Thrones, Dominations' by Dorothy L Sayers
DLS is no doubt rolling in her grave, since Thrones, Dominations was fleshed out from fragments by Jill Paton Walsh.

Sorry, pet peeve. I hate posthumous books that are written and published on the merest pretext, out of pure greed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who would have access to those, Xanthe. I'd certainly prefer an alternate reader.
The Dark Side is your friend for that one, in that case.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-16-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote