Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
can the new 350/650 scroll only part of a page?

What I mean is this. My main complaint on my kindle (which I am using to read technical books) is that often code spans two pages but is actually smaller then a page. I that case you have to keep rocking between the pages which is a pain.

I saw a video on youtube of the new sony where the reviewer was quickly swiping pages. I could not tell if he was swiping an arbitrary portion of a page at a time or swiping entire pages at a time. I hope I explained this well enough that someone can give me an answer. thanks for listening
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

I probably did not explain well...lets say the last quarter of page 26 and the first quarter of page 27 of a book are some code I want to isolate...overall that is half of a page, yet it would be on 2 pages on the kindle and you would have to go back and forth between to 2 pages to isolate that code.

On the 350/650, can you in this case scroll forward a quarter page from the end of page 26 so that you now can see the entire half page of code? I see an online manual pdf for the 350 talks about something like this under zooming but I don't really get it without it in my hands.
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
As far as I know, the Sony 650 will not do what you are describing. Swiping any place on the screen will cause a page turn-you can't tell the reader to just advance a little bit. You might look at some of the larger screened readers as they are more likely to hold an entire page of text.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
I get what you are asking.. the answer is "No, not exactly" but by using one of the 6 page modes, and the "zoom" option you can scroll over the page at will...
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
oops wrong group !!!!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
bluerfoot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
I get what you are asking.. the answer is "No, not exactly" but by using one of the 6 page modes, and the "zoom" option you can scroll over the page at will...
thanks, wish there was a demonstration of this as I can't really understand without seeing.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Jason Green
Jason Green began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
What I mean is this. My main complaint on my kindle (which I am using to read technical books) is that often code spans two pages but is actually smaller then a page. I that case you have to keep rocking between the pages which is a pain.

I saw a video on youtube of the new sony where the reviewer was quickly swiping pages. I could not tell if he was swiping an arbitrary portion of a page at a time or swiping entire pages at a time. I hope I explained this well enough that someone can give me an answer. thanks for listening
I know what you mean.

Sometimes I want to see the first few lines on the next page, in context with the preceding lines on the last page.

The zoom facility will do this but it's not as good as being able to just swipe the page up a little.

Hopefully this is something they could add to the firmware later?
Jason Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
When you are in zoom mode you can pan around the document. Maybe it's just in pdf. I think this vid shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5bPVY95DY
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
Indulis
Indulis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Yes I am having the same trouble- if I have a diagram in a PDF that is at the bottom of one page, I get to see the top half of it, and if I scroll down I only get to see the bottom half of it. Zoom and pan is really clumsy and takes a lot of effort. Y O Y can't they just recognise a "little swipe" as a part page scroll, and a "big swipe" as a full page turn.
Indulis is offline   Reply With Quote