Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
lonku
lonku began at the beginning.

Device: Asus EEE Note, Kobo Aura HD
Best performing 64GB cards for Kobo?

I'd like to get a dedicated 64GB card for my kobo aura HD (which would contain android and a partition containing pdfs and cbz files which average around 50MB-200MB, and also contain 1000s of images averaging 100kb-1MB)

I've found threads here mentioning that class 4 cards perform better than class 10 cards, but as far as I'm aware, class 4 64gb cards don't exist? or is it a matter of brand in this case?
lonku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-21-2014 at 10:33 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonku View Post
I'd like to get a dedicated 64GB card for my kobo aura HD (which would contain android and a partition containing pdfs and cbz files which average around 50MB-200MB, and also contain 1000s of images averaging 100kb-1MB)

I've found threads here mentioning that class 4 cards perform better than class 10 cards, but as far as I'm aware, class 4 64gb cards don't exist? or is it a matter of brand in this case?
In my rather limited testing, I've found that the SanDisk and Samsung 64GB cards are consistently among the best for small block performance. The problem is that most high capacity cards are optimized for reading/writing large blocks (large files, multimegabyte images, videos, etc.) and their performance on small blocks is pathetic.

If you have a Windows computer, I'd suggest trying CrystalDiskMark to test any card you purchase. Take a close look at the 4K and 4K QD32 results.

The reason for the earlier recommendation was that some Class 10 cards would have incredible large block read/write results but drop to using kilobytes to measure their performance on small block read/write operations.

This originally came up when people were modifying their Nooks and wondered why some cards worked well and others make the Nook almost unusable. It turned out Android on the Nooks was doing a lot of small block read/write operations. When I tested some cards I had on hand, a SanDisk class 4 card gave me a 1.81MB/sec write speed while a Kingston class 10 card gave me a 0.019MB/sec write speed -- and, yes, that was not a typo, it was 19 kilobytes/sec write speed.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Does a Kobo actually work with 64GB cards (thus being SDXC, not SDHC)?

As for Class 4 being faster than Class 10 - I think that would be pure luck. SD cards differ so much, even within the same series. Performance will also depend on the interface, filesystem, driver code and much more. It only makes limited sense to check from a different unit.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
lonku
lonku began at the beginning.

Device: Asus EEE Note, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you have a Windows computer, I'd suggest trying CrystalDiskMark to test any card you purchase. Take a close look at the 4K and 4K QD32 results.
I'm on a computer running Debian at the moment, Is there a Linux alternative/command to do the same type of test?
lonku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I recommend going wth a 32GB SDHC card at class 4.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroS.../dp/B004G7D0EG
Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm on a computer running Debian at the moment, Is there a Linux alternative/command to do the same type of test?
I haven't used any but one friend used a program called vdbench(?) to do some benchmarking. Sorry I can't be any more help to you.

Regards,
David
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Surely you must know someone who uses Windows where you could have access to run the benchmarks.

Of course, the smart thing to do is go buy a copy of Windows and install it in a dual-boot setup.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post

As for Class 4 being faster than Class 10 - I think that would be pure luck. SD cards differ so much, even within the same series. Performance will also depend on the interface, filesystem, driver code and much more. It only makes limited sense to check from a different unit.
I was checking the cards on a single system and the results were pretty consistent over multiple cards. Whether I tested using the Ricoh interface SD card slot or a USB uSD card adapter, the cards that had good small block performance were consistently better than the cards that had poor small block performace.

It had to be admitted that the performance item I was most interested in was not one that most producers of high capacity SD storage cards optimized for, I could see why some of them had very poor performance. However for my uses, the small block performance was a fairly critical measurement and having a good small block read/write performance made a noticeable difference.

I do have some difficulty understanding your belief that a card that performed poorly for small block read/writes in my test setup was going to suddenly perform well in another system. The results in the performance database were pretty consistent. Slugs were slugs regardless of what system they were tested on and a Class 10 card may have blown a Class 4 card out the water for sequential and large block performance but in small block performance, the 4 Class 4 Sandisk cards I tested were one (expletive deleted) of a lot faster than any of the Class 10 cards I tested.

BTW, what got me started on this finding a thread in the XDA Developers conference http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1005633. You can also check the GoogleDocs database of the results at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lRDJQTEE#gid=0

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-21-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Here are some other benchs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/m...marks,169.html
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4544...s-a-difference

You can bench your sd card directly on kobo, using dd with a telnet connection. An image backup is strongly suggested.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
diskette
diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo touch
4K is the best test block size according to DNSB

seems the simplest way to test write speeds is

sudo dd bs=4K count=20000 if=/dev/zero of=/mounted/directory/of/SDcard conv=fdatasync
source: https://romanrm.net/dd-benchmark

i have now done 4K write speed tests of five different SD cards, two of which were microSD cards in a verbatim adapter. i kept the filesystem [ext3], partition table type [dos], computer testing it with, and USB SD card reader itself the same throughout the tests

a brand new verbatim class 10 card performed 4K write speeds 2x worse than one of the much older non-micro SD cards. though it was 50% faster than the original kobo microSD card

here's some up-to-date 4K benchmarks for a larger variety of brands names
http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/je...i-microsd-card
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...marks,169.html
http://www.custompcreview.com/review...pdate/22978/2/

considering the benchmarks above i am guessing DNSB's kingston card was an anomaly ?

Last edited by diskette; 02-17-2016 at 05:01 PM.
diskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

You can also use fio, a Flexible I/O Tester. Recommended by L. Torvalds in his magnificent benevolence
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
diskette
diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo touch
i actually did the tests again with iozone and that really threw me for a loop with unpredictable outputs that i didn't really understand, despite putting in reasonable options. the verbatim may be about 50% faster than the stock kobo SD card when tested with iozone, and that also tests read speeds, which are obviously more important for an... ereader !

i'm planning to just buy a sandisk ultra given the benchmarks i posted from elsewhere and stop trying to figure out this mind bending I/O testing. though fio does look alot simpler than iozone

Last edited by diskette; 02-18-2016 at 10:36 AM.
diskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #14
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Anyway, can I say that probably ebooks are loaded into memory once opened, so this kind of benchmarks are completely useless? :P
Old 02-19-2016, 01:39 AM   #15
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I put a 128 go Sandisk SDXC in my gloHD once, and nothing was wrong. I even did a partition in exFAT for backup purpose (since i always have my reader with me).

After that i tested some 16/32 go, always Sandisk since it’s the brand that comes with the reader. I’m going now with a 32go Sandisk, which is perfect for a mixed collection of epub and cbr.

My experience shows that when reading the variation in speed is inexistant. The only change I detected (and perhaps it was in my mind) is the duration of the device for processing the loading of a huge collection on it.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote