Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
Ciao Tshering, Thank you for your work,not solved the problem with the microSD , even trying with another one. 've Read your last post, the start menu on my Glo look different, as you can see in the picture.Maybe should I reinstall KoboStartMenù?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140208_203234.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	118881  
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
@Cesco: I think your start menu looks different, because you have not installed koreader or vlasovsoftlauncher. If you do, the menu will automagically add them to the menu.

Another trick might help with the microSD. After my microSD had mounted several times without problems, suddenly it seemed not to work anymore. So I startet nickel, then closed nickel with the exit_nickel symbol in the library and tried again. This time the micro SD would mount without problems.

Maybe it works for you too. Good Luck!
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@Cesco,
As already said by trekk (thank you again), the exact look of the main menu depends on whether you have installed Koreader, a version of KoboLauncher, or whether an update file is waiting in .kobo. Your installation seems to be ok.

As for the problem with the external sd, I don't know why it is not being recognized. Actually, I don't know much about linux, and even less about the auto plug system. Until now, I did not get to the point that my external SD was not recognized, so it is difficult for me to search for the failure. You can find some system information on "scripts>show info>show mount.sh" and "scripts>show info>show fdisk.sh." If you run these scripts, once with removed sd and once with inserted sd, maybe you can detect something.

Last edited by tshering; 02-09-2014 at 12:08 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
@tshering;

A "ReadMe.txt" file, in your download, that explains how the folders are to be used for the install, would help.

I asked the moderators if they could move your #15 post to be the #2 post, they might need/want your approval.

Luck;
Ken

OT; I really like the kind of Sleep you describe in post #15, I use the same "freeze screen" kind of sleep in my implementation of KOreader, for my AuraHD.

Also: for my AuraHD it does boot with the display inverted, but if you poke where the USB line would be, if the display were as it should be, the USB menu comes up right. Then you can select Return and the home menu is displayed correctly. It may work for any of the menu items, not just USB. A reboot gets you the inverted display again.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-09-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
A "ReadMe.txt" file, in your download, that explains how the folders are to be used for the install, would help.
You are right, this might be helpful in certain cases. However, I restrained from doing so on purpose. Since the first post is the only place one can download the package, the explanations in the first post should suffice. And at this place, I can easily modify them if they proof to be unclear.
Quote:
I asked the moderators if they could move your #15 post to be the #2 post, they might need/want your approval.
Thank you for your concern. I wouldn't mind the post to be shifted. If it is not shifted, I think it is also ok, since I link to it in the first post. I plan to write one or two other post with further explanations. So we would have the same problem again. Maybe links in the first post are sufficent?

Quote:
OT; I really like the kind of Sleep you describe in post #15, I use the same "freeze screen" kind of sleep in my implementation of KOreader.
In my case the motive was rather laziness (I didn't want to deal with different screen resolutions) than anything else. And I don't care much about the sleep screen (and power off screen) as long as it doesn't show a book cover and as long as I can distinguish my two otherwise identical readers.
Thank you again for your concern, Ken!
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #21
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post

After my microSD had mounted several times without problems, suddenly it seemed not to work anymore. So I startet nickel, then closed nickel with the exit_nickel symbol in the library and tried again. This time the micro SD would mount without problems.

Maybe it works for you too. Good Luck!
thanks for the trick, now it works!
my problem was exactly as your.

Where can I find "vlasovsoftlauncher"

Thanks to tshering too
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #22
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Also: for my AuraHD it dose boot with the display inverted, but if you poke where the USB line would be, if the display were as it should be, the USB menu comes up right. Then you can select Return and the home menu is displayed correctly. It may work for any of the menu items, not just USB. A reboot gets you the inverted display again.
Thank you for this information. This corroborates trekk's report. I cannot explain this behavior. I call the USB menu (and the handle update menu, referred to by trekk) exactly with the same display argument as the main menu. At the moment I can see only two differences. 1) in the case of the USB menu, more time has elapsed since boot than in the case of the first call of the main menu. 2) In the case of the first call of the main menu it is the first launch of a Qt application after boot. I don't know whether one of these two points has an impact here. If yes, we could launch on the Aura HD at start up an otherwise useless Qt application that doesn't need user interaction, something like a splash screen or so.

Last edited by tshering; 02-09-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
thanks for the trick, now it works!
my problem was exactly as your.

Where can I find "vlasovsoftlauncher"

Thanks to tshering too
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226456

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #24
Ken Maltby
Wizard

A splash screen might look neat.

I found the "koreader_kobo.sh" that you are using, at "\mnt\onboard\.kobo\kbmenu\onstart" to change the location that KOreader's File Manager opens in.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I found the "koreader_kobo.sh" that you are using, at "\mnt\onboard\.kobo\kbmenu\onstart" to change the location that KOreader's File Manager opens in.
Thank you, this is valuable information for other user who want to change the location.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
tshering
Wizard

I would like to see the Start Menu work on the Aura HD too. Unfortunately, I cannot do any testing myself. So if anybody would like to help, I have prepared a small update file for testing purposes. It requires that the Start Menu package (see post #1) is already installed on the device. Maybe Ken is currently the only one who is running the Start Menu on an Aura HD. I can also provide a new package that already contains the updated files, if anybody wishes so.

Based on the observations of trekk and Ken, I am entertaining the maybe childish idea, that, on the Aura HD, the first call of the menu application results in a disoriented display, and with any further call the orientation is correct. I guess, it took trekk and Ken some time to poke the right place on the bottom-up display in order to trigger a second call to the application. Therefore, time might also have an impact.

I order to verify this idea and see whether we can use it, I would like to invite you to conduct the following experiment.
  • download TestForAuraHD.zip
  • extract KoboRoot.tgz and copy it to .kobo of the device
  • if you see the "handle update" entry in the main menu, select it and choose "install update"

After the automatic reboot, you should see something like the image below, however flipped by 180°. Don't try to select an entry. Wait 10 seconds until the application exits by itself. Next appears the main menu. This time with correctly oriented display, or so I hope.

A) If up to this point things went according to wish, you can try to decrease the waiting time.

In the file .kobo\kbmemu\usersettings.txt change
Code:
firstautoselectafter=10
to
Code:
firstautoselectafter=0
and reboot.

If next you see the main menu with correct orientation, we can rejoice. If not, you might try some other values between 0 and 10.

B) If however things did not go according to wish, we might try to increase the waiting time in .kobo\kbmemu\usersettings.txt

If this also does not yield the wished for result, we could try another thing. Maybe user interaction is needed, after all.

C) After reboot, select any item of the a b c d ... menu before timeout. This should not be too difficult, since anywhere you poke on the screen, apart from the small top and bottom area, should be a good place.

Please report your results here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AuraHDWarmUp.png
Views:	534
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	118920  
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestForAuraHD.zip (75.5 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by tshering; 02-10-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
Ken Maltby
Wizard

OK; I'll give it a try. [I'll edit-in my results.]

Everything went as expected, will try A) next.

Tried "0", and for two "Reboot"s from the menu and a powercycle with the switch it works, with the display correct.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-10-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
tshering
Wizard

This was a quick response. Thank you!

This is really good news. It looks like the menu is usable for the Aura HD. I will provide a new package soon.

Thank you for testing!

Last edited by tshering; 02-10-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #29
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
I tried A) with "0" and it seemed to work. A reboot gave me the start menu with correct orientation, so I can confirm Ken's results.

But, if I start nickel and exit nickel with nickel_exit from the library, the orientation of the start menu is flipped again! Powering off from the menu again changes the orientation to the correct position.

C) Tapping anywhere flips the screen and shows the start menu in correct orientation.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #30
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I tried A) with "0" and it seemed to work. A reboot gave me the start menu with correct orientation, so I can confirm Ken's results.

But, if I start nickel and exit nickel with nickel_exit from the library, the orientation of the start menu is flipped again! Powering off from the menu again changes the orientation to the correct position.

C) Tapping anywhere flips the screen and shows the start menu in correct orientation.
Thank you for testing. Maybe we should also insert a warm up phase after returning from nickel.