Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #1471
weige
weige began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Nothing has changed since my last update (that I know of--unless my hoster changed an Apache setting).

What will help is if I can replicate the problem, and I cannot. I just tried a download with Safari on Sierra and it worked as it always has. I moved the file to the desktop, did "chmod 755" on it per my web page instructions, and it works. What makes it a dms file for you? Does it have the extension .dms? It doesn't when I try it. Can you send any example screen shots of what you are talking about?
https://imgur.com/a/YkjLk

When i was on sierra few months back i had no problem downloading and installing the file. But after switching to high sierra and elcapitan, the file becomes dms instead of dmg. i can't extract it.

Last edited by weige; 10-13-2017 at 09:44 PM.
weige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #1472
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by weige View Post
https://imgur.com/a/YkjLk

When i was on sierra few months back i had no problem downloading and installing the file. But after switching to high sierra and elcapitan, the file becomes dms instead of dmg. i can't extract it.
See what happens now. I just modified the download page to use a mime type of "application/x-mach-binary" for OSX (rather than application/octet-stream, which is what it used to be). If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to do. Are you using Safari to do the download?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #1473
weige

yup i am using safari to download.when i downloaded the file it becomes a textedit doc with no extension. when i add .dmg and tried to open it, it said image is not recognized.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #1474
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weige View Post
yup i am using safari to download.when i downloaded the file it becomes a textedit doc with no extension. when i add .dmg and tried to open it, it said image is not recognized.
It is not supposed to have an extension. It's a simple command-line binary--not packaged. Are you following the instructions on the web page?

Edit: I've added a video to the above linked page demonstrating downloading and running in Sierra (OSX 10.12).

Last edited by willus; 10-15-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:46 AM   #1475
weige

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
It is not supposed to have an extension. It's a simple command-line binary--not packaged. Are you following the instructions on the web page?

Edit: I've added a video to the above linked page demonstrating downloading and running in Sierra (OSX 10.12).
YES! it works now! Thanks a LOT!
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #1476
mahpooya
mahpooya began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy s3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahpooya View Post
please create an option like -neg but without images inverse
only texts and background inverse
Hi Willus!
Thank you for your great job to maintain this awesome program.
And a very specially "Thanks" for develop this feature request for me!
God bless you in two worlds!
mahpooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #1477
Nightreaper775
Nightreaper775 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th generation
Hello, glad to see a thread having been kept open for so many years. I have a problem with scanned pdfs. In short, a big blank space appears in between some sentences and makes reading unconfortable. It both happens in normal and landscape mode.

I do not know how to shrink an image here, so I am posting the links.

Blank space: https://i.imgur.com/ka0FANl.jpg

You can see that the p's and q's are not complete either, it is like the blank space covers them.

Settings: https://i.imgur.com/jnZKvPI.jpg

If I use the "break after each source page" option instead of "avoid text select overlap", it also happens.

Do I have to change the value on "smart line breaks"? If so, by how much?

When I use native pdf mode, my Kindle (8th generation one) fails to properly show some letters and words and the text ends up being unreadable. So that is out of question.

If I apply OCR the effect is still the same. Re-flowing the text does not work either.

My OS is Windows 7 64 bits.

Greetings and thanks for your help.

Last edited by Nightreaper775; 10-17-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Nightreaper775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #1478
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #1479
Nightreaper775
Nightreaper775 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th generation
I am sorry for the problem, I now posted the links so he can see the images in another window.
Nightreaper775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #1480
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightreaper775 View Post
I am sorry for the problem, I now posted the links so he can see the images in another window.

We allow images, just not ones that violate the size limits of our Posting Guidelines (which you have now read).

You can also 'Attach' images to your post, as explained in the Posting Guidelines. No need to shrink an image, unless you wish to.

Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #1481
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightreaper775 View Post
Hello, glad to see a thread having been kept open for so many years. I have a problem with scanned pdfs. In short, a big blank space appears in between some sentences and makes reading unconfortable. It both happens in normal and landscape mode.

I do not know how to shrink an image here, so I am posting the links....
Sorry for taking so long to check. Can you post your source file? Or PM it to me? Have you tried the "fitwidth" conversion mode? If you need it to come out as a bitmap, you can uncheck "Native PDF output" after selecting it.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #1482
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Is there a dev code for the Kindle Dx?

"-dev ?" doesn't list the device codes.

"-dev kdx" isn't recognized.

"-mode copy -w 784 -h 1135" yields jagged results on the Kindle Dx, but smaller files than "-mode copy -opdi 300"

(though my own measurements suggest the pdfs can use just under 5.25", which at 150 dpi, suggest a -w just under 787, so 784 shouldn't be too far off. I'm tempted to try -w 1568 -h 2270 to see if it helps.)

Last edited by MarjaE; 11-18-2017 at 04:26 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #1483
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Is there a dev code for the Kindle Dx?

"-dev ?" doesn't list the device codes.

"-dev kdx" isn't recognized.

"-mode copy -w 784 -h 1135" yields jagged results on the Kindle Dx, but smaller files than "-mode copy -opdi 300"

(though my own measurements suggest the pdfs can use just under 5.25", which at 150 dpi, suggest a -w just under 787, so 784 shouldn't be too far off. I'm tempted to try -w 1568 -h 2270 to see if it helps.)
k2pdfopt -dev ? should indeed list all of the devices (see example below). The device code for the Kindle DX is "dx", e.g. k2pdfopt -dev dx ...

.\k2pdfopt -dev ?

Available devices:
Kindle 1-5 (alias k2): 560 x 735, 167 dpi
Mark corners=1, Padding (l,t,r,b)=0,0,3,4

Kindle DX (alias dx): 800 x 1180, 167 dpi
Mark corners=1, Padding (l,t,r,b)=0,0,0,0

Kindle Paperwhite (alias kpw): 658 x 889, 212 dpi
Mark corners=1, Padding (l,t,r,b)=0,0,3,4

... (list truncated)
Old 11-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #1484
NeonNegro
NeonNegro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 6
Are you still working on the project?
Do you have plans on fixing Big first letters ( drop cap )

Click image for larger version

Name:	bruqiMQ.png
Views:	219
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	160344

It is really boring

Last edited by issybird; 12-03-2017 at 08:21 AM.
NeonNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #1485
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Okay, the -dev dx setting works much better.

I'm still getting a lot of segmentation faults though, especially when pdfs have blank sections on some pages.

* I am just running -mode copy -dev dx, which shouldn't be too demanding. I don't know if ghostscript would be more or less demanding.

* I tried quitting other applications, except for calibre, and except for some accessibility software.

* I can't split the pdf, run k2pdfopt, and merge the pdf back without automatic reprocessing in quartz. And mupdf and quartz don't work well together.

Last edited by MarjaE; 12-04-2017 at 03:53 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools