Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3G white as wedding anniversary gift
Yes 60 89.55%
No 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
But it seems to me that since your wife has mentioned that she'd like to have a Kindle specifically, with the particular colour she wants also specified, within recent weeks, even if there's no anniversary mention to go with it, it might be A Hint.
I agree. If it turns out she wanted something girlie, let her know that you were paying attention to her and listened when she said she wanted the white Kindle. Showing that you were paying attention goes a long, long way IMHO.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
My anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks. And while I would love for my wife to get me a new Kindle, I wouldn't get her one. Without knowing your wife it is hard to say, but I think most women would prefer something other than technology for their anniversary.
bite your tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
As long as its not your 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th etc, it is a great gift!
why would you say that?

I think it is a GRAND gift!

horrible gifts are things like vacuum cleaners, toasters and mops. unless of course your other half comes up, straddles your lap, llllLICKS! your cheek, and says "a vacuum cleaner for my birthday would make me SO hot!"
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I agree. If it turns out she wanted something girlie, let her know that you were paying attention to her and listened when she said she wanted the white Kindle. Showing that you were paying attention goes a long, long way IMHO.
I agree! Excellent point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
why would you say that?

I think it is a GRAND gift!

horrible gifts are things like vacuum cleaners, toasters and mops. unless of course your other half comes up, straddles your lap, llllLICKS! your cheek, and says "a vacuum cleaner for my birthday would make me SO hot!"
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I think that if someone mentions something specific, says they'd like one, and goes so far as to specify a colour, that qualifies as something she'd very much like :-)

When I'm giving a gift, I try to buy something I have reason to believe the recipient will actually want... even if it's not necessarily something I'd like to receive myself. Sounds like this woman knows what she wants.

If the OP feels it's a little clinical to give on its own, people have already suggested loading it up with poetry (which is a fantastic idea, if his wife likes poetry) or presenting it in the course of a romantic dinner. It wouldn't have occurred to my husband to give me a Kindle -- I had to buy mine for myself -- but if he'd bought it AND loaded it up with Donne and Blake and so forth, you can bet I would have been over the moon with happiness!
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #20
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I'm female and would love a Kindle as a gift (I don't care for what occasion lol)
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Another female vote for YES!!!

First of all, she's hinting for it.

Second of all, and I know this is doesn't apply to your wife since you're already wanting to buy her one, but the women in my family seem to end up with men who don't get "the reading thing". My grandmother, mother and I have all been criticized by men in our lives because of our love of reading. So if a man bought me a Kindle, or any ereader, or even a book as a gift I would be over the freakin' moon with happiness and I'd probably marry him. So THANK YOU for being a man who wants to buy his wife a Kindle.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Another female vote for YES!!!

First of all, she's hinting for it.

Second of all, and I know this is doesn't apply to your wife since you're already wanting to buy her one, but the women in my family seem to end up with men who don't get "the reading thing". My grandmother, mother and I have all been criticized by men in our lives because of our love of reading. So if a man bought me a Kindle, or any ereader, or even a book as a gift I would be over the freakin' moon with happiness and I'd probably marry him. So THANK YOU for being a man who wants to buy his wife a Kindle.
PREACH it SIStuh!!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #23
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
The gift card is a good idea. Let her make it personal with her own cover. Maybe go to the MobileRead library and pre-load it with a love story or two such as Pride And Prejustice or Romeo And Juliet. Also I would go with the ad-free version, ads might not be so romantic.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #24
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Also maybe show her this thread to let her know you put some thought into the present and how a lot of posters think your a catch ; )
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Give me gadgets and tech over flowers and jewelrey any day!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #26
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
@soli: i don't get that notion of "being in trouble"? why? a gift comes from the heart, and it was nice of him to get her gifts. even if it turned out to be something she may not like, wouldn't it be rude to say so? o:
Oh I must be the only guy who gets in trouble for giving electronic gifts :P

I personally think that a Kindle would be a lovely gift. I was actually thinking about it a little more earlier today, and if I was in the OPs position I'd consider getting one of those nice Oberon covers (let her choose) just to make it a little different.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am not a normal woman. My K1 was a birthday gift from my then fiance now hubby. My softball bat was a Christmas gift and my birthday gift this year will be a second tennis racket.

If your wife wants a Kindle, then get her a Kindle.

My Hubby and I do not exchange gifts on our anniversary. We got married over Columbus Day weekend so we try and take a shirt vacation near us at that time as our gift to each other.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I agree, it really depends on your wife. Some women dislike tech/practical items and want the romantic items, others would prefer high tech. For Valentine's Day 2010, my beau bought me diamond earrings. It's been 16 mos and the only time I've worn them was that night, when we went to Valentine's Day dinner.

For Xmas 2010, he gave me an iPad. For my birthday in January 2011, he gave me a 42" LG HDTV w/networking and for Valentine's Day 2011, he gave me a Weber Genesis grill. I think he caught on. He already knows that I'll take a house, with a pool, covered by a screened enclosure, over a ring any day of the week!
I have been telling my Hubby I want an Aston Martin for my 40th birthday this year. I think I am getting a tennis racket instead.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
As long as you're not planning on "borrowing" the Kindle (and it's something that your wife will actually use), I think it'll be great. Maybe as an added romantic gesture have it preloaded with poetry?
Only if we travel to South America, mine is wifi only, lol ... just kidding... btw, like the poetry idea
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
my grandmother, mother and I have all been criticized by men in our lives because of our love of reading.

really???
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote