Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooorm View Post
Liza Daly just tweeted this:

and
Cloud Reader is real validation for all her work on IBIS Reader-the first real online reading app
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What!? No Firefox!?
Firefox's HTML5 support isn't quite on par with Webkit based browsers (basically, Chrome and Safari), probably why. However if they didn't actively block firefox, I am sure that most things would work fine.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
wooorm
Awesome.
wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Firefox's HTML5 support isn't quite on par with Webkit based browsers (basically, Chrome and Safari), probably why. However if they didn't actively block firefox, I am sure that most things would work fine.
i guess it's because Firefox doesn't, and never will, support Web SQL Databases, the system that read.amazon.com uses. (wikipedia)
wooorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

Oh well, nothing says I can't use both. Firefox for day-to-day stuff and Chrome for entertainment.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I can't read anything offline, nor access my archives with the app (either in Chrome or on the iPad). Apparently I have too many books.

If you can get into Read Now (which takes accessing the full Kindle store and Manage My Kindle), it does work. But, what a pain.

OK, I guess, if I don't have the book downloaded in the Kindle IPad app (but, why not download it, if I have wifi access, anyway) or want to look at something quick on the PC (again, have to go thru the Manage My Kindle page, as there is no 'read now' on the book page and the archives are blocked). Somewhat useful (if a pain) there, since I don't have Kindle for PC on this computer (then again, that's because I don't read on it).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A nice hands on look here: http://arstechnica.com/media/news/20...eplacement.ars

Quote:
The Cloud Reader's Kindle Store is not at all designed like Amazon's normal website—instead, UI elements are laid out in big, touchable areas and navigation is designed for the touchscreen user.
The Kindle Bookstore looks very nice on the iPad.

What is missing so far (probably will be added at some point)
1) Adding notes or highlights (but you can see the ones you added already)
2) No Newspapers or Magazines
3) No search for keywords
4) No built in dictionary

Nice to have another option, anyways-and another way to buy books on the iPad.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I can't read anything offline, nor access my archives with the app (either in Chrome or on the iPad). Apparently I have too many books.
It's a 50MB limit for Web Apps in iOS, for now-is that the limit you are hitting?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #23
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Why not Flash?

LOL
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Cloud Reader is real validation for all her work on IBIS Reader-the first real online reading app
...and now to be the least used. I tried it a few days ago...no easy way to get my own books onto their service.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Why not Flash?

LOL
Doesn't flash drain batteries much faster than HTML5?
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Let's not confuse things.

Flash is suitable or used for animations and multimedia content. We are talking about databases and books here.

We could use flash but some sort of database engine or SQL needs to be integrated as well, or any way to read user's database, grab the info, and download if needed. Here's were HTML5 and Web SQL comes into scene. However, iPad or Safari does not support Flash anyway.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I have little to add to this discussion except that I love Android so dang much.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooorm View Post
i guess it's because Firefox doesn't, and never will, support Web SQL Databases, the system that read.amazon.com uses. (wikipedia)
Surprised they picked it, given that it never was finalized, and the draft spec has been marked as no longer in development.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #29
wooorm
Awesome.
wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Oh really? Weird!

Not that i know much of Web SQL Databases, just the things i read on/in diveintohtml5.org/storage
wooorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #30
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
This works very well on my iPad 2, including downloading books to read offline.

I'm not sure how often I'd use this, since I buy Amazon books from the website, not from my reader or the app, but it's a nice option.

And it is particularly nice to have this in case Apple ever goes through with its earlier plan to require in-app purchasing for apps that permit purchasing outside the app.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote