Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
[Old Thread] iPod to Calibre Content Server - how??

Hello,

Please excuse my newbie-ness. I've spent over 3 hours trying to get my iPod connected to Calibre (7.24) and am failing miserably.

Calibre appears to be working properly, but my iPod is not connecting automatically. All attempts to connect manually have failed. Clearly I am doing something wrong.

* How can I check if I have the correct IP address? When I used "whatsmyipaddress.com" that IP address resulted in "cannot connect to server" error messages. I then went to System Prefs -> Network and used the IP address listed there -- as in "AirPort is connected to MyNetwork and has the IP address 192.xxx.x.y" This seemed to connect (at least, no error message), but no Calibre Library, either.

* Do I need to do anything in System Prefs -> Sharing? I'm afraid to touch anything there since I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Help! Please! Thank you!

Last edited by Jane12; 10-27-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
when you are entering the IP address enter it like this

http://192.168.1.2/stanza

replace your actual 192.xx ip address ofcourse
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
when you are entering the IP address enter it like this

http://192.168.1.2/stanza

replace your actual 192.xx ip address ofcourse
Another not-so-bright question: how would someone who knows very little about networking and has a rather tricky home network (handled mostly by my DH) determine the IP address for the machine Calibre is set as server on?
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I tried http://192.168.x.y/stanza and still no joy :-(

Do I need to turn on any Sharing in System Preferences? File Sharing? Web Sharing? Internet Sharing? Right now everything is unchecked and off.

(I'm using Mac OSX 10.5)
Old 10-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Another not-so-bright question: how would someone who knows very little about networking and has a rather tricky home network (handled mostly by my DH) determine the IP address for the machine Calibre is set as server on?
For most people the calibre server will be autodetected by Stanza.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm afraid I'm not an OS X guru so I can't help you further. But basically, make sure that the content server can be accessed from another computer on your networks by typing in

http://192.xx:8080

If it cannot then you have some networking config problem, like a firewall.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Jane12
Groupie

Thanks Kovid! When you pointed me to my firewall settings, it did the trick. It's working now. Very cool!

To anyone experiencing connection problems with Mac OSX 10.5, this is what worked for me:
- Go to System Prefs -> Security -> Firewall
- Choose "Set access for specific services and applications"
- Attempt to connect your iPod to Calibre. A window will pop-up asking whether to block or allow incoming connection from Calibre. Choose "Allow."
Once I did this, Stanza found my Calibre library automatically -- no need to mess with IP addresses, etc.

Alternatively, you can turn off your Firewall by selecting "Allow all incoming connections." This works, too, but doesn't seem wise ;-)

Last edited by Jane12; 11-05-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For most people the calibre server will be autodetected by Stanza.
So Windows XP shouldn't be too much of a stinker about it?
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Thanks Kovid! When you pointed me to my firewall settings, it did the trick. It's working now. Very cool!

To anyone experiencing connection problems with Mac OSX 10.5, this is what worked for me:
- Go to System Prefs -> Security -> Firewall
- Choose "Set access for specific services and applications"
- Attempt to connect your iPod to Calibre. A window will pop-up asking whether to block or allow incoming connection from Calibre. Choose "Allow."
Once I did this, Stanza found my Calibre library automatically -- no need to mess with IP addresses, etc.

Alternatively, you can turn off your Firewall by selecting "Allow all incoming connections." This works, too, but doesn't seem wise ;-)
addendum: I couldn't connect and Firewall for Calibre was set to "allow" but still wouldn't connect. I turn firewall off and then back on and then connection was made. Kinda like a "reset" I guess
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote