Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 AM   #1
machoman121
machoman121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch
Zooming into graphs/tables and pictures - possible?

I have a kobo H20 and realised heck this sucker can't zoom into graphs or tables in epub formats?????

Is that right?

So the H20 and KOBO books are destined only for romantic fiction novels?

I'm not talking about PDF format - it's in epub and why can't i get the tables or graphs in a book to be enlarged. I've tested the same book on a Kindle DX and the graphs and pictures can be beautifully enlarged . But the newer Kobo H20 can't.

Is there a way around this?
machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In kepub format you can zoom in on a picture by double tap.
To read the book as kepub you can change the extention of the book to "kepub.epub", or load the books with Calibre driver KoboTouchExtended.

Last edited by oren64; 10-16-2017 at 04:46 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
machoman121
machoman121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch
thanks - i tried it......not sure if it was working as it's supposed to.....so i loaded the original epub back .....then i then noticed if i double tapped quickly most times i'll be able to zoom in. Sometimes the graph or chart will refuse to be enlarged.

The zoomed image of the graphs/charts was at very very low resolution - it's quite bad. Hmmm that's a bit of a dissappointment for the Kobo units.

my Oldish no longer available Kindle DX is still the king of all e-readers.
machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoman121 View Post
The zoomed image of the graphs/charts was at very very low resolution - it's quite bad. Hmmm that's a bit of a dissappointment for the Kobo units.
The resolution will depend on the resolution of the image in the book.

Beware that if you have converted the book with Calibre then the image resolution could be reduced during the conversion. To avoid that make sure you have the output profile set to Tablet. (DON'T use the Kobo reader profile, which is only for the very old low-resolution Kobos.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
DON'T use the Kobo reader profile, which is only for the very old low-resolution Kobos.
Really? That’s interesting to know! Does the profile affect anything other than images?
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
In KOReader for epubs you can long press on an embedded image and it will be shown as a full page image. Great for maps and such.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Really? That’s interesting to know! Does the profile affect anything other than images?
From memory, it can affect some other things, but none of the profiles I've looked at had anything other than the maximum image size. And the conversion will downscale images to the maximum size, but won't resize smaller images.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
In KOReader for epubs you can long press on an embedded image and it will be shown as a full page image. Great for maps and such.

Luck;
Ken
Hadn't known that. Very useful information. Much obliged.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote