Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Kindle Paperwhite unable to free up space

I own a Kindle Paperwhite second gen I think with firmware version 5.8.5.0.2
I jailbroke it sometime last year or something when it still was V 5.6.5 I believe. Anyways, I filled up my device today and wanted to add a pdf file of about 15 Mb but was unable to. Then I deleted at least 200 Mb of files, probably more, but I still wasn't able to add the pdf. So I checked how much space was on the device over the Nautilus file Explorer on Ubuntu 16.04 and it showed that the device was nearly full. I then booted up windows 10 and looked at the filesystem over the windows explorer with the same result. I still only had 7 Mb of free space. I then rebooted the Kindle, which had no effect. When I look up the remaining device space on the kindle it shows 7 Mb.

It may be that Ubuntu is messing up the file system and not deleting the files correctly. Ill try deleting a file with the kindle and hoping it works, then Ill try to delete a file over windows. I do not want to factory reset the machine in case the memory is broken, because I still have 40+ Books on the device I want to read and I jailbroke it so I basically voided the warranty aka screwed.

16.213 items, totalling 3,2 GB

3,3 Gb Used
6,9 Mb Free
Total Capacity: 3,3 Gb
Filesystem type: msdos

[Edit] OK I can confirm that Ubuntu is messing up the filesystem and not writing into the registry (because the filesystem isn't what Ubuntu is used to) that the file has indeed been deleted. Ugh, I probably just lost more than 1 Gb of space.

Did this happen to anybody before? If yes, did you manage to reclaim the lost space, that is really delete the files, without factory resetting the device?

Can I factory reset the device also if I jailbroke it, or is some special procedure necessary?

Last edited by miomaz; 11-14-2017 at 08:43 AM.
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
If a mod sees this, can you move it to the dev forum?

don't try this yet, before someone else confirms this, but yes, you shoudl be able to do a reset and keep your jailbreak. You have to do things in a very specific order.

1. Have a jailbroken devices.
2. airplane mode
3. Press Reset, this is the dangerous part
a. I believe that this keeps the jailbreak itself, but it deletes all your files ( including the update blocker )
b. so do not connect to wifi until you recreate the update blocker folder
c. The reset removes the "hotfix' and the upldate blocker, but the jailbreak itself is not removed until you re-install an update.
4. create folder named update.bin.tmp.partial to block ota updates
5. reconnect to wifi register your kindle
6. re-install the hotfix.
7. re-install all your hacks.

Also before you do this, some people have reported the kindles just generally breaking, and becoming "read-only"
Can you try creating a small text file on the kindle and ejecting it, then rebooting it, and seeing if the text file still exists?

Last edited by coplate; 11-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert