Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
There are two sets that I love/have. One is the new annotated Sherlock Holmes (3 books) edited by Leslie S. Klinger. The notes add a lot of context to the stories (time period, place, interesting details of Sherlockian world etc.), bit pricey though.
Amazon links vol 1, vol 2, vol 3

The second is the seashell press illustrated and complete edition. They does mention many resources in the acknowledgements page so I assume corrected etc. and is also kinda cheap.

I have this nasty habit of checking the file sizes when comparing ebooks, both these sets are pretty large and that makes me happy .

Coming to the reading order, this stack exchange page has a great answer (not just the order but also explaining the reasons for that particular order).

In short, Begin your Holmesian adventure with short stories from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Continue with the early novels before moving on to the later short stories. End with The Valley of Fear and then The Hound of the Baskervilles, to see Holmes (and Doyle) at his finest. The order is, for the most part, chronological.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The link to the Seashell Press version shows it's no longer available.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
There are two sets that I love/have. One is the new annotated Sherlock Holmes (3 books) edited by Leslie S. Klinger. The notes add a lot of context to the stories (time period, place, interesting details of Sherlockian world etc.), bit pricey though.
Amazon links vol 1, vol 2, vol 3

The second is the seashell press illustrated and complete edition. They does mention many resources in the acknowledgements page so I assume corrected etc. and is also kinda cheap.

I have this nasty habit of checking the file sizes when comparing ebooks, both these sets are pretty large and that makes me happy .

Coming to the reading order, this stack exchange page has a great answer (not just the order but also explaining the reasons for that particular order).

In short, Begin your Holmesian adventure with short stories from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Continue with the early novels before moving on to the later short stories. End with The Valley of Fear and then The Hound of the Baskervilles, to see Holmes (and Doyle) at his finest. The order is, for the most part, chronological.
Agree, that a great set to have. I really like the context and back story that it provides.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #19
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The link to the Seashell Press version shows it's no longer available.
I think you have run into the copyright problem that HarryT has mentioned. It is available from Amazon in countries, including my own, with less restrictive copyright terms.

A pity, as it is a worthwhile addition to ones collection and very well priced.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One of the best collections of the stories that I've come across (I don't know if it's in ebook yet) is the Annotated Sherlock Holmes. It's a two volume set that includes articles about items like the deal acid stained table and other things referenced in the tales as well as copies of the original illustrations from the stories.

Last edited by crich70; 11-03-2017 at 10:22 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2017, 06:07 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I think you have run into the copyright problem that HarryT has mentioned. It is available from Amazon in countries, including my own, with less restrictive copyright terms.

A pity, as it is a worthwhile addition to ones collection and very well priced.

That explains it, then.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One of the best collections of the stories that I've come across (I don't know if it's in ebook yet) is the Annotated Sherlock Holmes. It's a two volume set that includes articles about items like the deal acid stained table and other things referenced in the tales as well as copies of the original illustrations from the stories.

Are you perhaps confusing that two volume set with the three volume set?

I ask this because I don't think that three volume set was released all at once. In my own case, I seem to remember buying those first two (very expensive, if I recall), and not seeing a third volume that was out at that time.

If I'm wrong, can you dig up the link so I can check it out?

On the subject of Holmes: I'm also a big fan of the "Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine," which is an ebook magazine.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Are you perhaps confusing that two volume set with the three volume set?

I ask this because I don't think that three volume set was released all at once. In my own case, I seem to remember buying those first two (very expensive, if I recall), and not seeing a third volume that was out at that time.
Yes, they initially released the first two volumes in a slipcase, which contain all the short stories, and then volume 3, which contains the four novels, was released later. The three books, side by side, have the famous profile of Sherlock Holmes on their spines.

This is a set of books that's far better as nice hardbacks than as ebooks, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

This may be the set I have in storage: It's a two-volume set with a slipcase and (if I recall correctly), has a cover similar to the one on that three-volume set.

It's a large coffee-table set FILLED with illustrations, and the set is green colored.

Getting back to the ebooks, I have yet to buy the third volume.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This may be the set I have in storage: It's a two-volume set with a slipcase and (if I recall correctly), has a cover similar to the one on that three-volume set.

It's a large coffee-table set FILLED with illustrations, and the set is green colored.
me.
Yes. This one (the picture is that of the hardback, although this is the Kindle edition. Volume 3 completes the profile picture.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Annotat.../dp/B01KJ8Z3MC

They would, as you say, make a convenient coffee-table .
Old 11-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. This one (the picture is that of the hardback, although this is the Kindle edition. Volume 3 completes the profile picture.

--- I would hate to use one as a coffee-table! One added word makes all the difference!

For some reason, I remember mine as being green in color. And they may have been First Editions, although I can't really attest to that for certain.

Perhaps mine didn't have DJs.

I'm going to have hunt for an image of the ones I have in storage.

-- Thanks, Harry.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
There was a 2-volume set by William Baring-Gould that was released quite a few years earlier than the 3-volume set. https://www.amazon.com/Annotated-She.../dp/0517502917

These 2 volumes have an interesting take on the proposed reading order. The premise (slightly tongue-in-cheek) of these two volumes is that Holmes and Watson were real people and the stories describe real events. Based on clues in the stories, the editor has ascribed actual dates for each of the stories and the stories in the two volumes are in order based on these dates with the earliest dated story being the first story.

It is a very interesting approach and I still enjoy reading though those stories and following the annotations.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

So where is the non-Kindle version? The Kindle version is a rip-off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
There was a 2-volume set by William Baring-Gould that was released quite a few years earlier than the 3-volume set. https://www.amazon.com/Annotated-She.../dp/0517502917

These 2 volumes have an interesting take on the proposed reading order. The premise (slightly tongue-in-cheek) of these two volumes is that Holmes and Watson were real people and the stories describe real events. Based on clues in the stories, the editor has ascribed actual dates for each of the stories and the stories in the two volumes are in order based on these dates with the earliest dated story being the first story.

It is a very interesting approach and I still enjoy reading though those stories and following the annotations.

THAT'S the one I have.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So where is the non-Kindle version? The Kindle version is a rip-off.
Search for "New Annotated Sherlock Holmes" in books.