Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Has anyone used Natural Reader text to speach?

I keep running into a problem for my mother, who's blind. She listens to audiobooks, but I keep getting recommendations for books that are available in ebook but not audio, either through libraries or through the National Library for the Blind.

The text to speed engine on the Amazon Fire is mostly good enough, except that Mom finds it effectively impossible to manipulate the screen to get to the book. I can set the book and hand it to her, but that makes it difficult to use when I'm not there.

I was just searching for text to speech engines (to see if anything new had come up since the last time I looked.) and Natural Reader was one of the first google entries.

Has anyone used this for complete ebooks, instead of for small docs or web pages?

Darqref
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
I keep running into a problem for my mother, who's blind. She listens to audiobooks, but I keep getting recommendations for books that are available in ebook but not audio, either through libraries or through the National Library for the Blind.

The text to speed engine on the Amazon Fire is mostly good enough, except that Mom finds it effectively impossible to manipulate the screen to get to the book. I can set the book and hand it to her, but that makes it difficult to use when I'm not there.

I was just searching for text to speech engines (to see if anything new had come up since the last time I looked.) and Natural Reader was one of the first google entries.

Has anyone used this for complete ebooks, instead of for small docs or web pages?

Darqref
What problem does your mom have manipulating the screen on the Fire? My uncle has been using a Fire for over a year with no problems, and he's blind as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What problem does your mom have manipulating the screen on the Fire? My uncle has been using a Fire for over a year with no problems, and he's blind as well.

Shari
She's never used a touch screen of any type, and just gives up. It doesn't help that the behavior is different if you have the voiceview feature enabled (you have to touch the right control to put focus on it, then double tap to activate.) She retired when her sight was going, but also to avoid needing to go through yet another computer change in her library, and never really had good computer skills.

I'm trying to find a way to make a text-to-speech implementation work the way her current books from either library work now. I put one book per flash drive on the chips and she can manipulate them into the digital player (from the Library for the Blind). Since that reads mp3 files ok, I looked for a program that would output to mp3. I was just seeing if anyone else here had used it.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote