Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Amazon releases waterproof Oasis

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XD5YC...33BB6GX90464Q7

Finally gave me my $20 trade in credit, as well, which didn't used to be available on the oasis. Since the battery isn't in the cover anymore, I skipped the cover.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I think the waterproof will do it for me. I've been tempted by Oasis since it first came out but the Voyage was so good I resisted. Waterproof though... It's funny because I just had a hot bath last night and was thinking how I wished the Voyage were waterproof, and then today voila.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I like that the battery is no longer in the cover but the thing i like best about the Oasis after the button layout is the small size.
I would buy this if I didn't already have the original Oasis.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The active threads on this new Kindle are over at the Amazon forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd still recommend getting some sort of cover that has a rigid-ish flap that covers the screen when flipped closed. eInk screens are fragile.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Yeah, half the screen looks like it barely has any housing. Bit worrisome for me.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is the cover waterproof?

When I go swimming in the ocean (about 20 minutes away), and if I bring that ebook reader with me, will I be able to frolic around in the ocean and read at the same time (if the waves aren't too high)?

I need to add that there's a real danger that my car might be stolen (as this happens quite often here), so I'm inclined to keep the cover on the reader. Plus, I have a tendency to sit down when I'm not standing, which further adds to the desirability of always having my ebook reader protected.

Please advise immediately!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Is the cover waterproof?

When I go swimming in the ocean (about 20 minutes away), and if I bring that ebook reader with me, will I be able to frolic around in the ocean and read at the same time (if the waves aren't too high)?

I need to add that there's a real danger that my car might be stolen (as this happens quite often here), so I'm inclined to keep the cover on the reader. Plus, I have a tendency to sit down when I'm not standing, which further adds to the desirability of always having my ebook reader protected.

The cloth cover is waterproof, but not the leather.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari

Actually, that IS very good news.

As a side-note, it's also very damp here (especially in Winter), and I often have to have my ebook reader and its cover inside yet a larger type of cover when walking around prior to deciding what outdoor restaurant to settle on when reading and enjoying a cappuccino.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Is the cover waterproof?

IPX8 (according to IP standards) can leak but the leaks will not be harmful to the unit. That said, you might want to verify it's suitability for a saltwater submersion.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
IPX8 (according to IP standards) can leak but the leaks will not be harmful to the unit. That said, you might want to verify it's suitability for a saltwater submersion.
I don't actually have the unit, yet, but I'll check further on this.

There's also the salt spray and dampness that occurs near an ocean.

-- Thanks.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
It would be if they used shark skin
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Quote:
I don't actually have the unit, yet, but I'll check further on this.

There's also the salt spray and dampness that occurs near an ocean.

-- Thanks.
It looks like, based on the product page and the below link, that it can handle immersion in fresh water and brief exposure to salt water.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/browse.h...cog_waterproof

from the product page (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Read where you choose
New – No more soggy pages with the all-new Kindle Oasis—it's IPX8 rated to protect against immersion in up to two meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes. And it's built to withstand getting splashed at the beach or dropped in the bathtub, hot tub, or pool.
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #14
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
For the Kobo aura one, it says that if you get salt water on it, you should rinse it in freshwater...
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I guess that is why it doesn't have an sd card slot. My paperwhite is too full to add anything more-my fire has a 256 GB card, but I am tempted by the games. Hopefully 8GB will be satisfactory. I know it came with 32, but I hate paying for memory. Don't mind the sd cards.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote