Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Default maximum cover image size bug/flaw

The default maximum cover image size is no longer appropriate at 1200x1600. With hi-res eInk screens at a resolution of up to 1872 x 1404, the default should be increased to mach today's 300DPI eInk resolution.

Also, would it be possible to modify Calibre so if it sees the default values that it automatically updates that to new higher values? I know the defaults can be changed for new installs, but that does nothing for existing installs where these values really should be changed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The default is not 1200x1600. IIRC it is 1650x2200
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The default is not 1200x1600. IIRC it is 1650x2200
I think he might be talking about the default output profile which is 1200 x 1600. Though I do remember using the tweak to change the default size for covers cant recall if was to increase or decrease though.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I think he might be talking about the default output profile which is 1200 x 1600. Though I do remember using the tweak to change the default size for covers cant recall if was to increase or decrease though.
No, he's talking about the cover size. It came out of a discussion in the Kobo forum as someone found the cover images generated by the KoboTouch driver were not as good as those generated by the device. When I looked, I found the same thing, but it turned out that the maximum the cover size tweak was set to a value suitable for the older devices, but a lot smaller than the Aura ONE uses. When I reset the tweak, the driver generated covers were upped in size and displayed as well as the device generated covers. The person who reported the problem found that this was the case for them as well.

I think JSWolf is assuming we didn't deliberately set the tweak and that it was set to whatever was the current value in calibre at the time we installed calibre. I don't know if this is the case or not. For me, it was set to 1200x1600 instead of 1650x2200. I know I have looked at the value as I remember thinking that was an OK value for the devices I had at the time. But I don't know if I set it to 1200x1600 or accepted the default and the default hasn't been updated in my profile since. I can look at the history of tweaks.py in git, and see that it was 1200x1600 until about four years ago, which is after I started using calibre.

So, there is a tweaks.py in my profile. This contains the available tweaks. What JSWolf is asking is what happens when the defaults for the tweaks are changed. Do they get updated in the tweaks.py in the profile. Or do I have to open the tweaks page of the preference and reset them one at a time to get the current value. And how do new tweaks get added?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As long as you never set any tweaks, new defaults are picked up automatically. If you do set tweaks, then you have to manage them manually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As long as you never set any tweaks, new defaults are picked up automatically. If you do set tweaks, then you have to manage them manually.
On one of the computers I have Calibre installed, the cover size is set to 1200x1600 and I know I have never changed it. That computer is running version 3.7. The default obviously never changed. Given your saying it should have been changed, I think this is a bug.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-08-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@JSWolf

Quote:
I suspect the 'any tweaks' should be read as 'any tweak whatsoever'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@JSWolf

I suspect the 'any tweaks' should be read as 'any tweak whatsoever'

BR
Then I call that a bug. Any tweaks that are are the default should pick up the new defaults (IMHO).
Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Then fix it, dear Jono, dear Jono, dear Jono,
Then fix it, dear Jono; dear Jono, fix it!

I'd call it a limitation.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Then fix it, dear Jono, dear Jono, dear Jono,
Then fix it, dear Jono; dear Jono, fix it!

I'd call it a limitation.

BR
I'll leave the fixing the those that know how to fix it.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then I call that a bug. Any tweaks that are are the default should pick up the new defaults (IMHO).
Calibre never changes a setting or Tweak once it has been made.
Some of my tweaks, were set way back in 2010 to reflec my prefernces at that time. I have copied that file to all my other Calibre installs.
Preferencesmiscellaneous section) Tweaks
the ones that are BOLD, have been changed from default (and floats to the top of the list)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre never changes a setting or Tweak once it has been made.
Some of my tweaks, were set way back in 2010 to reflec my prefernces at that time. I have copied that file to all my other Calibre installs.
Preferencesmiscellaneous section) Tweaks
the ones that are BOLD, have been changed from default (and floats to the top of the list)
But, in the example of the cover dimensions, they are no longer valid in some cases. So because Calibre doesn't update untouched tweaks, a lot of people are using values that are not appropriate for the device being used. This is why tweaks should update untouched tweaks.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But, in the example of the cover dimensions, they are no longer valid in some cases. So because Calibre doesn't update untouched tweaks, a lot of people are using values that are not appropriate for the device being used. This is why tweaks should update untouched tweaks.
Absolutely not!

Is see no reason to have HiRes covers in my books when all I do is look for a familiar cover. I chose a value about 1/2 my screen resolution as 'good enough' for me. Those sane covers look good on my Tablet.
I am not blowong them up to Poster size, just identifing a book by its cover.

Tweaks made should be left to the user to re-tweak if desired. The BOLDing of the Tweaks name is enough to remind ones self that there was a change
Old 09-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But, the issue is that a new Calibre user gets the the new values for any changed tweaks and anyone that's made a tweak change gets the old values. I think if the tweak's default value has changed and that tweak has not changed, then the default value should be changed.

Your cover image size would not be changed because you already changed it.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
But, the issue is that a new Calibre user gets the the new values for any changed tweaks and anyone that's made a tweak change gets the old values. I think if the tweak's default value has changed and that tweak has not changed, then the default value should be changed.

Your cover image size would not be changed because you already changed it.
Tweaks itself gets New Tweaks merged (appended).
To be honest, I don't know what happens to the examples (defaults) in each.I just remember what I found before Kovid made the Tweak Editor (dialog)