Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #151
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What are their names?
Beefcake and Cheesecake?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #152
svn22
svn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheesesvn22 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW3
I jailbroke my fresh PW3 (w/o previous jb) with 5.7.2.1 on it.
I used the password script
Code:
python -c 'import hashlib,sys;print "fiona%s" % hashlib.md5("%s\n" % sys.argv[1]).hexdigest()[13:16]' #####S/N#####
for it.

For the serial connection I used the Adafruit FTDI Friend for it (Link).
As SW I used a homebrew version of minicom on my Apple.

It did it without soldering, because my solder iron was with a friend. I used scotch tape to bring RX and TX in place. Little tricky, but worked like a charme.

I followed the instructions and everything worked very well.
svn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #153
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What are their names?
Beefcake and Cheesecake?
She looked more like a Melonie.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #154
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
She looked more like a Melonie.
Which for some reason reminds me -
I found a new home for "Babe" ( http://kaynine.info/ ).
It only took me about 6 months (large adult dogs are hard to find new homes for).
Old 06-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #155
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Which for some reason reminds me -
I found a new home for "Babe" ( http://kaynine.info/ ).
It only took me about 6 months (large adult dogs are hard to find new homes for).
She is gorgeous.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #156
dalvick
dalvick began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
hello,

have you an idea how to resolve this?

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	149650  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-14-2017 at 07:43 PM.
dalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #157
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalvick View Post
hello,

have you an idea how to resolve this?

thank you
That can happen when you send binary data to the console. Depending on your terminal program, you may be able to type "reset" (without quotes) followed by the enter key, or you may have a "reset terminal" in your terminal app settings menu (in putty, click the putty icon in the upper-left corner of the window, and "Reset Terminal" is near the bottom of the list). That usually works for me. If not, close and reopen your terminal window, but you may lose any work in progress in the window you close.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-24-2016 at 03:57 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #158
knc1
Going Viral

or your ground lead to the Kindle came loose.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #159
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
or your ground lead to the Kindle came loose
Because it is all left-justified, it just looks like his character set got hosed. I have seen screens like than many times, and a "reset terminal" almost always fixes it.

But having extra options, just in case needed, is a good thing...
Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #160
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Because it is all left-justified, it just looks like his character set got hosed. I have seen screens like than many times, and a "reset terminal" almost always fixes it.

But having extra options, just in case needed, is a good thing...
That same behavior has had another (2) two reported causes -
Wrong interface voltage used with the serial adapter -
Serial adapter that takes an external reference to set the interface voltage and the source used had a lot of noise on it.

Since the poster did not include any detail other than "serial port" -
We don't even have any clues to guess from.

- - - - -

Posters:
Context! Context! Context!
This is a technical forum that handles technical questions -
And most of the time, our crystal balls are off-line (crystal ball air-time is far too expensive).
Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #161
geekmaster

Quote:
That same behavior has had another (2) two reported causes -
Wrong interface voltage used with the serial adapter -
Serial adapter that takes an external reference to set the interface voltage and the source used had a lot of noise on it.

Since the poster did not include any detail other than "serial port" -
We don't even have any clues to guess from.

- - - - -

Posters:
Context! Context! Context!
This is a technical forum that handles technical questions -
And most of the time, our crystal balls are off-line (crystal ball air-time is far too expensive).
I had problems on some of my kindles (K4/K5) that were flaky using the GND pin/pad on the TTL serial connector. I got working using my full level-shifter circuit. Then I discovered that half the circuit was not needed (kindle Rx) if I used a solid grond, like the USB shell, or another obvious solid ground (3.3v tolerant Rx on the 1.8v input). So a good ground is very important, and the one on the connector is not a good ground in my experience. But more like NO output, not scramled characters. It looks like CR/LF are working (typical screen layout) so more like character set issues (perhaps triggered by a few bad "binary" characters). Caused by bad ground -- persistent until terminal reset...
Old 06-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #162
dalvick

hello, thank you for answers
i use this without external power
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/RS232-To-TTL-...-/252399950706

and do the same think when i unplug 5v cable and use external!

terminal reset dont resolve it and with tera term ger the same issue

Last edited by dalvick; 06-25-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #163
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Wrong interface voltage, that adapter is not for 1.8 volt, low voltage, ttl serial.
That is a RS-232 (12 volt interface) adapter.

It is very likely that you have destroyed the serial port in the SoC.

Disconnect that thing and get the proper adapter.
If your very lucky, the SoC might still work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MAX220-MAX249.pdf (403.1 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by knc1; 06-25-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #164
geekmaster

Quote:

The only way you can use that adapter is if you run it with the RS232 side connected to an older PC (most modern PCs do not have an RS232 port), or with a USB RS232 adapter connecting that 15-pin RS232 connector to a modern PC. You must also use a level shifter circuit on the TTL (3-pin) side. This adapter uses 5v TTL and the kindles are 1.8v TTL). However, MAX232 chips are known to generally work okay when powered by 3.3v, but your adapter seems to derive its power from the RS232 interface (so no easy way to adjust it). Depending on how that green LED is wired into your circuit, it might cause problems (though it may just be a power indicator, which is fine).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-25-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #165
dalvick

thank you

The adapter is a 5v interface, i hope that the serial port still a live.
as english is my 4th language is hard to me to understand all, next time will try read more before acting

thank you very much again, your work is amazing

Tags
serial jailbreak