Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #196
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
KUAL is supported on ALL Kindle models except the original (K1) device.
ALL.

- - - -

It depends on what diags firmware happens to be installed on your device.
Some list to serial and screen, some just screen and some just serial.

- - - -

If you haven't already done so -
Put a drop or two of epoxy glue on those leads as a strain relief.
Just looking at them cross-eyed will pull the pads off of the board.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #197
grant2
Banned
grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite pw2
Glad that this guide is still relevant.!

If anyone has other tips or custom mods, please send me a private message so I can include them.
grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #198
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant2 View Post
Glad that this guide is still relevant.!

If anyone has other tips or custom mods, please send me a private message so I can include them.
It had a nearly year long break, while the current software jail break worked.
But once again, it is needed on any touch screen device running firmware newer than 5.8.7.0.1
-- except Oasis -- No one has found the serial port connections on it (yet).
Old 07-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #199
chaud227
chaud227 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
The recommended USB to Serial adapter is out of stock on Amazon, does anyone know of a similarly priced alternative? Thanks!
chaud227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #200
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaud227 View Post
The recommended USB to Serial adapter is out of stock on Amazon, does anyone know of a similarly priced alternative? Thanks!
I've been considering buying the 5 pack, and trying to sell the other 4 through amazon, but its such a niche product, that I haven't yet.

I have also been considering buying a standalone 5v or 3.3v and using something like this, But it's 6 dollar shipping at the cheapest to my zip code, so I haven't done that yet either.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009

Thats probably cheaper than buying a 1.8v device other than the jim.sh one.

Amazon search for 'Bi-Directional logic level' shows some for about $7 with shipping included, so it depends on what you can get a usb 3.3v or 5v ttl fpr too.

Aamxon search for 'usb ttl' will give you a ton of options for 3.3v and 5v ttl.

I haven't bought them, but these two together are $14

https://www.amazon.com/Logic-Convert...al+logic+level

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-WINDOWS...ywords=usb+ttl

Last edited by coplate; 07-18-2017 at 06:58 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #201
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Which "Kindle 8th generation" device do you have?
There are two of them.
One of them does not have an accessible serial port.

Please use the serial number table to identify your Kindle's nickname used here.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
(if you had done that to begin with, I would already know how to answer the: "Can I use a serial port?" question for your model.)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #202
chaud227
chaud227 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which "Kindle 8th generation" device do you have?
There are two of them.
One of them does not have an accessible serial port.

Please use the serial number table to identify your Kindle's nickname used here.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
(if you had done that to begin with, I would already know how to answer the: "Can I use a serial port?" question for your model.)
Nickname according to that list is KT3
chaud227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #203
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Yes, it has a serial port.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #204
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Super!!
Now you know what to put in the "Device:" field of your info box.
(Click: "User CP" in blue bar to access and edit that information)

This is a technical forum and there have been over 76 models of e-ink Kindles.
It is really helpful to know what a person is talking about when they ask a question.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #205
Aroth
Enthusiast
Aroth began at the beginning.

Device: KV (5.8.10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I've been considering buying the 5 pack, and trying to sell the other 4 through amazon, but its such a niche product, that I haven't yet.

I have also been considering buying a standalone 5v or 3.3v and using something like this, But it's 6 dollar shipping at the cheapest to my zip code, so I haven't done that yet either.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009

Thats probably cheaper than buying a 1.8v device other than the jim.sh one.

Amazon search for 'Bi-Directional logic level' shows some for about $7 with shipping included, so it depends on what you can get a usb 3.3v or 5v ttl fpr too.

Aamxon search for 'usb ttl' will give you a ton of options for 3.3v and 5v ttl.

I haven't bought them, but these two together are $14

https://www.amazon.com/Logic-Convert...al+logic+level

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-WINDOWS...ywords=usb+ttl
Has anyone else found a better solution than this? Was really hoping to be able to keep the usb attached and tucked away inside the case, but having to use two boards feels like it would hamper that, and the other option (a $30 usb-serial cable) is too bulky to stay tucked into the case. Plus I am not really looking forward to having to mess with stepping voltage up/down with a secondary board.

edit:

Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8V-3-3V-or...-/332047158683

Last edited by Aroth; 08-04-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Aroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #206
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroth View Post
Has anyone else found a better solution than this? Was really hoping to be able to keep the usb attached and tucked away inside the case, but having to use two boards feels like it would hamper that, and the other option (a $30 usb-serial cable) is too bulky to stay tucked into the case. Plus I am not really looking forward to having to mess with stepping voltage up/down with a secondary board.

edit:

It should work. but it looks a bit bigger than the microftx.

I did buy the 5 pack off amazon, and I'm waiting for it to come.

I'll probably keep 2 or 3 more for other projects, so I can sell 1 or 2 to people who want them.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #207
Aroth
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
It should work. but it looks a bit bigger than the microftx.

I did buy the 5 pack off amazon, and I'm waiting for it to come.

I'll probably keep 2 or 3 more for other projects, so I can sell 1 or 2 to people who want them.
How much would you be willing to sell one for? (if reselling stuff is frowned upon in the forums, feel free to PM me with the info).
Old 08-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #208
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -

It would if the seller actually shipped the device.

E-Bay refunded my purchase price and the user comments are the same:
Collects funds, does not respond to queries, does not ship the device.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...s=negative_180

I have no idea why E-Bay has not suspended that seller.

Last edited by knc1; 08-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #209
Aroth
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It would if the seller actually shipped the device.

E-Bay refunded my purchase price and the user comments are the same:
Collects funds, does not respond to queries, does not ship the device.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...s=negative_180

I have no idea why E-Bay has not suspended that seller.
Yeah I noticed that too after doing more research, seems he has had several issues in the last 6 months with not shipping.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #210
coplate
Guru

Quote:
How much would you be willing to sell one for? (if reselling stuff is frowned upon in the forums, feel free to PM me with the info).
There's a selling sub forum, so it's probably fine.

I don't know how much the individual ones cost before, but I figure $12 + shipping is what I'd want.

If they come in individual static bags, that will be good, if I have to buy static bags from microcenter, I might add another dollar on top.

Anyone following this thread know how important static bags really are?

These device look small enough that I maybe could tape them to a piece of cardboard and put it in a regular letter sized envelope, so you'd decide how fast you'd want to get it if you want to pay more. :-)

I'll post back when they show up tomorrow.

Tags
serial jailbreak