Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #61
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
This is probably something for the P&R group I suspect!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #62
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
This is probably something for the P&R group I suspect!
Probably. Although language is never apolitical. For example, I was fascinated by Issybird's discovering that the book I nominated is only $3 at Kobo India. That discovery fits very nicely with comments made by its author in the introduction, wherein he spoke about the devaluation/erasure of Urdu in India. I think any thread about books in translation will inevitably involve some socio-political commentary for context
Advert
Old 12-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #63
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I don't see anything jumping out at me, and my own nomination, Foreigner isn't getting any love, so I'll use my last ticket for The Left Hand of Darkness.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #64
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
With my last nomination, I will second Kitchen.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #65
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Since I have two tickets left I will third Kitchen and also third The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The poll's up!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #67
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Since this was my theme and I was definitely aiming for non-anglocentric authors, I will nominate Kitchen by the Japanese author Banana Yoshimoto.
I finally got to this based on your nomination here and have read the title novella (I'll read the shorter second novella in the volume tomorrow). It seems odd to say that a book about grief and despair is charming, but this is. I think it's the youthful voice and the sparse prose, but Yoshimoto doesn't pull her punches for all that.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #68
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I finally got to this based on your nomination here and have read the title novella (I'll read the shorter second novella in the volume tomorrow). It seems odd to say that a book about grief and despair is charming, but this is. I think it's the youthful voice and the sparse prose, but Yoshimoto doesn't pull her punches for all that.
If you are unfamiliar with her, all of Yoshimoto's work deals with grief on some level. In every single book someone has died in some way. They are all exceptionally different, and all exceptional as works of Japanese literature. It is definitely my favorite style and it is always different from Western writing.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
If you are unfamiliar with her, all of Yoshimoto's work deals with grief on some level. In every single book someone has died in some way. They are all exceptionally different, and all exceptional as works of Japanese literature. It is definitely my favorite style and it is always different from Western writing.
Yoshimoto was entirely new to me. Which would you say is your favorite book of hers? It would be interesting to follow up Kitchen with a later work (I think Kitchen and the additional novella, Moonlight Shadow, were her first?)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #70
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yoshimoto was entirely new to me. Which would you say is your favorite book of hers? It would be interesting to follow up Kitchen with a later work (I think Kitchen and the additional novella, Moonlight Shadow, were her first?)
Kitchen, Hardboiled & Hard Luck, and The Lake are my five star ratings. The Lake is her most recent translated work, I believe.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote