Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 AM   #91
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
So far I am enjoying Madden’s completion of Drood but it may not be to everyone’s taste.

I was thinking about the parallels of the novel with Fitzgerald’s The Last Tycoon. Like Dickens Fitzgerald was writing at the peak of his powers and like him he died suddenly part way through the book. The reader is a bit luckier in Fitzgerald’s case as he did leave a fairly thorough summary of the plot and included a significant number of notes about what had been done.

Jane Austen left two incomplete novels: The Watson’s and Sanditon. In the case of the first, it seems that Austen simply got bored with the project and turned to other things. At the request of her relatives she did outline how the book was going to continue. Thus many of the completions have a reasonable basis from which to work. Sanditon is a very different case. It was begun in the last year of Austen’s life and she had to abandon it owing to her illness. What we have would seem to indicate that it was going to be a lighter work than Persuasion. There are several completions available for those who desire it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #92
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
And keep thinking about it long after - as shown by how posts keep showing up on these these threads after the main conversation seems to have finished.
I agree with that point. I know I keep thinking about some books or find an interesting connection later. I don’t view the threads as having a particular expiration date.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #93
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But I'm flummoxed when I see that "binge watching" is a thing, that people will watch a whole season of a show in the course of a weekend! I truly don't get it. I think you miss a lot of fun that way, by gobbling the episodes like popcorn.
I live with someone who loves Netflix because she can do that - not be left hanging for a week. She binge-watched Derry Girls and Russian Doll on two separate nights this week. I binge-watched Derry Girls with her.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote