Notices

Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Oasis, yes, absolutely. I can comfortably read one-handed with it for hours on end.
Thanks. @maximums, you find the same is true of the Forma, which is even bigger?
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #32
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
Thanks. @maximums, you find the same is true of the Forma, which is even bigger?
Absolutely. I had the luxury of comparing the current versions of both devices side-by-side for nearly a week. Both are good readers and do certain things better than the other, but one area I strongly preferred the Forma was the ease/comfort of holding onto it one-handed for lengthy reading sessions. I have a very severe neuropathy so I'm probably more picky about the reading ergonomics than some folks.

* The angled area that contains the buttons is a nice touch. It gives you more leverage to control what is a fairly tall and wide reading device, so that it doesn't feel tippy or top-heavy while holding it one handed.
* The soft grippy material is a pleasure to hold onto, gives you a great purchase and is super comfortable when doing things like using an area of your palm to support the bottom edge of the device. This was a killer difference vs the Oasis: I like to read case-less in order to keep weight down, and the dang Oasis was just miserably slippery unless my hands were damp.
* The Forma corners are more rounded and give a pleasing feel when supporting the bottom edge of the device with your palm; they don't dig in after you've held it for a while. I really noticed this because it didn't make my hand go number after holding it for 30 minutes or so; the Oasis did.
* The buttons are larger and farther apart than those on the Oasis, and I have moderately big hands, so this makes it much easier for me to get a comfortable grasp and turn pages one-handed. I invert the buttons and use the top button to turn pages, and when I do that, it's about in the perfect position for me. Also, the angled ledge that the buttons are on is a bit wider than that of the Oasis, thus keeping your thumb a bit further from the edge of the screen. I found the Oasis had a narrower ledge for the screen, and my thumb was often inadvertently bumping the screen and flipping the page forward before I wanted to. The Forma solves that problem by giving you a more roomy button area.

Anyway, I could go on, but I think the Forma while not perfect, is a really well thought-out design from an ergonomic reading perspective.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #33
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Thank you, that's a very detailed response!
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 AM   #34
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
Do you also consider it shady to rip a CD you have bought and convert it to mp3? Or to rip a DVD? So you can play the media you have bought on a phone or another device?
Some would, I do not. I feel I have paid for a product that I own it. Of course most digital media we buy is a lease of sorts according to most EULAs
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:41 AM   #35
harrygerand
harrygerand began at the beginning.

Device: none
In my opinion Oasis is a better made device and the hardware is clearly superior. Yes, the battery life is awful. The dictionary is much better than Kobo's.
harrygerand is offline   Reply With Quote