Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Anybody got a clue on DX price reduction?

I want a DX and I would get one right now if I wasn't afraid the price will go down substantially 2 weeks later - I bought both the K1 and the K2 at full price so I feel I have done my pioneering. I really have the feeling the DX price must go down in order to survive.

Anybody heard any rumors about a price cut?
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I haven't heard any rumors, but a rational person thinking about the competitive landscape might guess that Amazon might bring a new K3 to market in advance of the xmas 2010 season. It would make sense to price the K3 at KDX or K2 price points. To do that they might reduce K2/KDX prices substantially in advance of that. Whether some action is imminent or likely to happen in the Sept/Oct timeframe, I couldn't say.

You can sometimes buy refurbished kindles from Amazon or used ones on eBay at substantial discounts.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
FrozenRiver
FrozenRiver began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Well, reducing the price of old products before new ones are introduced is not what companies usually do. What they often do is that they will stop the production of the old one instead, and set a price for the new product that is on about the same level as the old. The price of the old ones will be left entirely to the decision of second hand sellers and buyers.

If the price varies, it is not because the new product is introduced. Rather, it is because of changes in demand-supply relations.

Since kindle is still desperately demanded by so many people (like, e.g., SamuraiXSendai), I don't see why Amazon should reduce the price.

Last edited by FrozenRiver; 05-21-2010 at 03:02 AM.
FrozenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I bought my K2 at 399. The price is now 259. And the price came down well before the K2I.

I can live without it or I could pay full price. I am far from desperate to have one. I have multiple Kindles now, the DX would just be a luxury. I just don't want to pay full price two weeks before a price drop. Amazon won't do price adjustments.

Besides, the infant in my house ranks a bit higher than my need for a Kindle DX right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
Well, reducing the price of old products before new ones are introduced is not what companies usually do. What they often do is that they will stop the production of the old one instead, and set a price for the new product that is on about the same level as the old. The price of the old ones will be left entirely to the decision of second hand sellers and buyers.

If the price varies, it is not because the new product is introduced. Rather, it is because of changes in demand-supply relations.

Since kindle is still desperately demanded by so many people (like, e.g., SamuraiXSendai), I don't see why Amazon should reduce the price.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote