Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
I can't turn the Kobo Reader off!

I know the solution is going to be really simple but I at my wit's end. I simply cannot get the reader to stay turned off. When I'm reading a book and press to Power button to turn it off the cover of the book comes on the screen and stays there. If I press Power again it goes into reading mode. Pressing and holding the Power button down does not do anything differently. I'm worried I'm going to burn an image into the screen.

So, please help! How do I turn this off, or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks in advance,
Dorey
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
That's one of the features of the Kobo eReader...when you power down the unit, the cover of the last book you were reading comes up. It's not a defect, that's how it's supposed to be.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
The simple beauty of e-ink. Basically the unit is off whenever it's not in use. Whether you use the off switch or leave it on the table at the page you were just reading, it's off. The only time it is 'on' and therefore using battery power is when you turn a page, download a book, or make it do something by way of a menu command. The book cover is just it's way of saying you've closed the book for the time being...cool, huh?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Thanks very much for such quick responses! I agree, it is cool that it shows the book cover when the unit is off.
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
The simple beauty of e-ink. Basically the unit is off whenever it's not in use. Whether you use the off switch or leave it on the table at the page you were just reading, it's off. The only time it is 'on' and therefore using battery power is when you turn a page, download a book, or make it do something by way of a menu command. The book cover is just it's way of saying you've closed the book for the time being...cool, huh?
That's not entirely true. What is true is that the screen requires no power to hold an image. There is, however, still a difference between "on" and "off". When it's on, there's software running on it and at least a small "trickle" of power keeping the RAM alive. Some readers (like Sony) have a "standby" mode where the screen goes blank (when you flip the power switch) but the "trickle" is still there - it means your book loads in less than a second when you "turn it on" (vs 35 seconds with Kobo), the downside is that it is (slowly) draining your battery.

But yes, with the Kobo, when you hit the power button and it shows the cover, it is fully off.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
That makes sense and I see the difference between that and the Kindle. I've been switching off; I think I might be inclined to select "Overview" instead and leave the juice running. Even if that slices a few days off between charges -- 12 days instead of 14 -- I won't fret.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
That does make sense. I had wondered why there was even an off switch in the first place. It is nice to know that it only trickles the power away...so, when I fall asleep with it still on, I don't have to worry much. Thanks for the info!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
GSteer
Flying Monkies!
GSteer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo [White]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
That does make sense. I had wondered why there was even an off switch in the first place. It is nice to know that it only trickles the power away...so, when I fall asleep with it still on, I don't have to worry much. Thanks for the info!
Just make sure you don't dribble on it whilst asleep
GSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I heard about the book cover image burning into the screen, is that true?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
I wish my PRS300 did that...I left my prs 300 on and it was dead the next time I picked it up
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I heard about the book cover image burning into the screen, is that true?
I've noticed some image retention too but the image seems to only stay for a couple seconds after turning it on and then washes away.

Will keep an eye on this though, burn in would be very upsetting.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
I've noticed some image retention too but the image seems to only stay for a couple seconds after turning it on and then washes away.

Will keep an eye on this though, burn in would be very upsetting.
Burn in is not possible with E-Ink.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Burn in is not possible with E-Ink.
Thank you.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
There's definitely some power draw if you DON'T power off the device.

Peace.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Thank you.
+1

I didn't know enough about the technology to know if burn in was something to be worried about. Would have helped to have a small blurb about that in a proper instruction manual
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote