Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read inmore than one language? What and why?
No, I only read in my native language 65 25.39%
Yes, I read in another language---for work reasons 8 3.13%
Yes, I read in another language---some books are not available in my native language 44 17.19%
Yes, I read in another language---to improve my language skills in that language 60 23.44%
Yes, I read in another language---for another reason not mentioned (please explain) 71 27.73%
Other 8 3.13%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #121
livre
livre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I read in native language, french or english. While I'm glad to see a lot of classic books available, I'm a little worried when it comes to books from french contemporary authors. The prices of their ebooks are so expensive! Sometimes the ebook version costs even more then the paperback (jelis.ca). Because of thoses prices I now read more english books then french one.

I learned that in quebec, the price of an ebook will be 75% of the price of the the paperback version, knowing that french bestsalers prices are around 25$ to 35$ that means they will sale their ebooks between 18$ to 26$!! Do people will pay that price? I know I won't. If they don't, will we see the end of french literature? Ok, maybe I'm overreacting

What do you think? Do you face the same problem in other languages?

Les Affaires: http://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs-...merique/506489
livre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #122
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I read in Spanish and English indifferently. German needs an effort from my side, an effort that I really want to make.
Me, too. I also want to make an effort at reading German. I coluld have been more diligent at it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by livre View Post
What do you think? Do you face the same problem in other languages?
Not sure whether to call it a "problem" or not, but books as such are quite expensive in Denmark. A newly published book, in hardback or trade paperback is about the equivalent of $40-50. Ordinary paperbacks, published 6 months later or so, is about the half. E-books though (and it's still quite few) are overall a bit cheaper than printed books. However, so far it's only of the few big publishers who've dipped their toes, so the market is still very very young.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #123
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Not sure whether to call it a "problem" or not, but books as such are quite expensive in Denmark. A newly published book, in hardback or trade paperback is about the equivalent of $40-50. Ordinary paperbacks, published 6 months later or so, is about the half. E-books though (and it's still quite few) are overall a bit cheaper than printed books. However, so far it's only of the few big publishers who've dipped their toes, so the market is still very very young.
I would say that books in Scandinavia is quite expensive and the argument for this is that the market isn't as big as that of the English. There are only so many people up here in the north, and the people interested in reading books is declining with competition from Film, TV, Internet. I'm not sure I contribute either since I tend to read more and more foreign authors and then reading the books in English.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #124
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I would say that books in Scandinavia is quite expensive and the argument for this is that the market isn't as big as that of the English. There are only so many people up here in the north, and the people interested in reading books is declining with competition from Film, TV, Internet. I'm not sure I contribute either since I tend to read more and more foreign authors and then reading the books in English.
I've heard it said that the last Harry Potter was available in translation in Danish even before it was published in English, for they wouldn't have sold any the other way around???
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #125
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
I've heard it said that the last Harry Potter was available in translation in Danish even before it was published in English, for they wouldn't have sold any the other way around???
Might be true for Denmark, ea knows that better than me, but here in Norway I don't think the youth have any problem reading in English. But I'm guessing Harry Potter is an exception with it's huge marketing force, so translations to different languages would be made quickly to combine the PR work. I know people stood in line queuing to get the latest Harry Potter book here in Norway when it came out. Now that's a sight you don't see often when a book is released.
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #126
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
If by that you mean sold in English in Denmark, it might be true, but I doubt it. I've never heard of it, but then the last Harry Potter book I read was no. 5 in the series. Those who wanted to read it as soon as possible would have bought the English edition.

Books such as Harry Potter and Dan Brown's bestsellers have been translated as quickly as possible - but they can't start translation until it's been officially published in English.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #127
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, tiny markets really - and then when books are expensive you don't buy that many in the first place. I didn't really start buying books as a matter of course until I started to buy e-books. I have perhaps only a handful of books that I've paid full price for. I usually only buy books on sale - or get them as presents.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #128
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Yes, tiny markets really - and then when books are expensive you don't buy that many in the first place. I didn't really start buying books as a matter of course until I started to buy e-books. I have perhaps only a handful of books that I've paid full price for. I usually only buy books on sale - or get them as presents.
How about the libraries in Denmark have they started with e-lending? I know Elib in Sweden is quite active providing new books in digital formats to the libraries for lending. In Norway it's at a standstill there's been a pilot project with a couple of small libraries but nothing big, and it moves really slow, no real initiative.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #129
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
How about the libraries in Denmark have they started with e-lending? I know Elib in Sweden is quite active providing new books in digital formats to the libraries for lending. In Norway it's at a standstill there's been a pilot project with a couple of small libraries but nothing big, and it moves really slow, no real initiative.
A new service has just started this year, ebib.dk, but not all libraries offers the service yet. There aren't all that many books yet either (see here), but at least it's there, and will hopefully improve not too slowly. It helped that Gyldendal (large prestigious publishing house), have put much more focus on e-books since last year.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #130
thinkpad
David

Quote:
A new service has just started this year, ebib.dk, but not all libraries offers the service yet. There aren't all that many books yet either (see here), but at least it's there, and will hopefully improve not too slowly. It helped that Gyldendal (large prestigious publishing house), have put much more focus on e-books since last year.
I think it's safe to say that Sweden is making an effort to embrace the new medium and have the will and curiosity to move forward. I don't know if this is thanks to some few single people burning for the cause or if Sweden is just more open minded to new technology. Norway feels hopelessly behind sometimes.