Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
kindlethai
kindlethai began at the beginning.

Device: K2
Updating an unregistered K2 Firmware

Hi all,

This is my first post on mobileread so my apology if you've already know about it. Anyway, I have an unregistered Kindle2 and supposedly have no way to register it via Whispernet as I live in Bangkok. The "setting" menu won't allow anything beyond "registering your kindle" - including the update firmware command- to be usable unless you've registerd the thing first. So by defalut, I can't get the new firmware (2.0.3-mine was 2.0) to be installed on it. Right?. Well, may be not.

Today I accidentally found a workaround. I downloaded K2 Firmware 2.0.3 and transferred it to my K2's root directory via USB. Then I unmounted the K2 disk, putting it out of disk mode. I disconnect the microUSB socket and re-connect it. This time the Kindle won't access disk mode immediately. I left it there for a couple of minutes until the Kindle went to sleep. This is when the seemingly weird thing happened. After the Kindle went to sleep and the screensaver showed (in my case, Mark Twain) imagery, then the screen flickered once and the firmware update process begun all by itself! I was a bit surprised but I let the process go on anyway. After a few minutes, the update was complete and the unit restarted. Voila! it shows 2.0.3 (32761024) and the bottom the "setting" page. Everything works fine.

So that's how it happened. I supposed after you unmount the Kindle disk from your computer, you can just reconnect it and put it to sleep to force the update to start without having to wait for it to go to sleep by itself.

Any of you dare try this and success, let me know too. Thanks everyone!
kindlethai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
1. Firstly, this is untrue. I know people who have indeed updated even though they can't change Settings on the settings screen. Seriously, just copy to 2.0.3 bin file into the ROOT (top) directory of the Kindle. Then go to the Settings screen, and the HIT MENU AGAIN, and you should get the option to Update Your Kindle. People seem to think that since they can't change anything on that screen, it won't work, but if you hit Menu, you should see the options available.

2. EVEN IF THIS DOESN'T WORK, you don't even need to do that. Once the .bin file is on the Kindle in the toplevel directory, simply slide the power switch to put the Kindle to sleep. The Kindle will detect the file and automatically begin updating.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
kindlethai
kindlethai began at the beginning.

Device: K2
You're right, sirbruce, clicking on the menu when at the setting page does reveal more options, including updating the firmware. Make it easier for me to update with future FW releases. Thanks.
kindlethai is offline   Reply With Quote