Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read inmore than one language? What and why?
No, I only read in my native language 65 25.39%
Yes, I read in another language---for work reasons 8 3.13%
Yes, I read in another language---some books are not available in my native language 44 17.19%
Yes, I read in another language---to improve my language skills in that language 60 23.44%
Yes, I read in another language---for another reason not mentioned (please explain) 71 27.73%
Other 8 3.13%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you read books in more than one language?

Just curious how many multi-lingual readers we have here. Does anyone read books in more than one language? If so, what is your reason---books not available in your native language, trying to improve your second language, have to for business, something else? What is your native language and what other languages do you read in?

I am a native English speaker and primarily read books in English, but I read in French as well, both for work purposes (I teach French) and for fun because I am trying to develop my fluency (I am a better speaker than a reader). One of the primary reasons I upgraded from a Sony reader to a Kindle was the dictionary look-up feature. When I heard there was a French-English dictionary available which could be used with this feature, it was the first time I considered upgrading from the Sony.

So, how about you---any second languages you read in? What languages? And why?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Latin and (ancient) Greek for me. Just for fun. The nice thing is that the whole of "classical" literature in these languages is available for download on the web.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
jcf
Enthusiast
jcf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Sage
I'm Filipino and I am fluent in Ilocano (hometown dialect), Tagalog (national language), and English. English was our medium of instruction in school so it is like a first language to me.

I am now in Canada so I am reading mostly in English. But lately, I read a Tagalog short story written by one of my country's award-winning journalists and I found out that Tagalog stimulates my brain in a different way. I find the experience/stimulation so pleasant such that I am now looking for more Tagalog and Ilocano stuff to read.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I like reading books in the language they were written in, when possible. I have been known to try and learn new languages just because I liked a specific author that writes in that language. That said, I am only really comfortable with greek and english books, but I have read books in german, french and portuguese, and hope to someday be able to read in japanese (in a few hundred years from now or something )
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Nowadays I read the vast majority of books in English. I started reading in English in order to improve my foreign language skills.
I have started learning English when I was 20 years old.

Before that I was reading in two different slavonic languages.
I can read in even more languages, but I have only read significant number of books in three languages.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I like reading books in the language they were written in, when possible.
Ditto. I am a native French speaker, from a bi-national french/british family (we spoke french with our mother and english with our father), and I have been living in Germany for almost 20 years now. So in those 3 languages, reading books is no problem at all. The most enjoyable experience for me is reading in english though, God knows why.
We will be moving to Spain in 5 months so I am starting now to read in spanish, but mostly magazines for now since I found out 20 odd years ago that it was the best way for me to get at ease with a new language. I call it "rubbish reading with a purpose" .
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
I am with omk3 on this one. I just prefer to read the original, if I can. In my experience the translations almost always loose something in the process. Unfortunately, that means only German, English and Russian for me. Never got around to learn enough French or Spanish :-(
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
From time to time i read books in foreign languages. Mostly in english, sometimes in russian. For work reasons as well as because some ebooks are just not available in german (my native language).
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
One of the primary reasons I upgraded from a Sony reader to a Kindle was the dictionary look-up feature. When I heard there was a French-English dictionary available which could be used with this feature, it was the first time I considered upgrading from the Sony.
That's something that I didn't know, and might nudge me into changing over to a Kindle also. Right now I read only in English, and it's been long enough since I used any of the French or Spanish that I learned in school that I don't remember very much of it. I really would like to improve my foreign language skills (especially the Spanish - the area where I live has quite a large Spanish-speaking community). I'm sure that if I started reading in French and Spanish it would come back quickly (I remember the grammar rules and usage, it's just the vocabulary that's missing).
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I read boox in Dutch (my native language) and in English. Mostly because they are not available in the other language. I think it is about 50/50%. Occasionally I also read books in German, Spanish and French, mostly to practice these languages. For that I also read passages from the bible, the same passage both in Dutch and in one of these language.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Nope. English is my only language, so no option to read in another.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
scoff
Enthusiast
scoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I read in English (native) and in Chinese. I read in Chinese for work (research interests in China) and for pleasure in an attempt to become more familiar with popular Chinese lit. There wasn't an option to choose both so I had to choose 'other'
scoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I voted Other because this pool doesn't have multiple choices !
My native language is french, and I restarted reading in english (after school) for work : I needed to read books and publications that were in english only.
So to improve my english I began to read books in that language when they were written initially in english.
Now I wouldn't purchase a book in english if it's a french one initially, but I purchased some others in english because they weren't available in french on ebook format for a reasonable price (or at all !)

Then with a multiple choices pool I would have voted, 2+3+4...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I voted no ... unless you count "parlez-vous franglais?"
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I read American, British, Canadian (en) and a few others.
They are not the same language, only close.

Sometimes the words go swoosh (right over my head).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote