Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
SubjectRob
SubjectRob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Store user annotations in the EPUB file

User annotations - bookmarks, highlights, notes, etc... to the best of my knowledge do not stay with the EPUB book but are proprietary to each reader. So if I change readers and open a book that I marked up in another reader my annotations will be lost.

This is not so much of a concern for the immediate future as I don't intend to change readers often, but say in 5 or 10 years I go to re-read a book and I'm using a totally new system/platform/reader - to loose all my annotations from the last time I read it is unacceptable.
  • Does the EPUB format support storing user annotations in the book.epub file in a non-destructive manner?
  • If it does, are there any readers out there that store all of the user annotations in the book.epub file?

Last edited by SubjectRob; 02-11-2017 at 10:01 AM.
SubjectRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Readers do not modify the ePub file therefore the direct answer is no. However Kobo keeps a database for kepub. Perhaps it is of some use for notes. Amazon books have a sidefile for this. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/AZW#Auxiliary_Files

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote