Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
slow loading calibre

I am using calibre for more than a year with my kindle 3. However, the new versions of calibre (0.9.17 normal and 64-bit version) need more than three minutes to start up on my windows 7 - 64 bit system. I tested both, the normal and the 64-bit version. And I never had such problems with earlier 0.8 versions.

Is there a setting, which I need to change to allow a quick start?

Any help is very much appreciated.
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Most likely it is the formats column that cause the delay.

Avoid sorting on it, and even consider removing it.

If you sort on it, then Calibre will go through all the books and check each and every file to see what formats you have stored in the library. That may take a while...

More about that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188312
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Have you added Calibre to the trusted list of your anti-virus program? That alone speeds up the startup time quite a bit.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Close the tag browser before you exit calibre, this will speed up the start up time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Most likely it is the formats column that cause the delay.
There is no formats column unless you create one. That said if the OP did create this column it would certainly slow start-up time.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-06-2013 at 06:39 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Thanks to all of you. I checked the things you suggested. But the problem remains. When I start in debug modus - the program shows the same unresponsiveness as soon as I click onto one book in the library.

I will uninstall and go back to a 0.8 version.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Running in debug mode was not going to speed it up; rather the log it created might have shown something as to what was happening to cause it to be slow.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This might be another instance of the "fake" network tunnel interface problem described in the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193686. The diagnostic and fix info starts at post 45.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George's Kindle View Post
I will uninstall and go back to a 0.8 version.
You don't state what 0.8 version you are going to revert back to. Is it previous to 0.8.66?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
This might be another instance of the "fake" network tunnel interface problem described in the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193686. The diagnostic and fix info starts at post 45.
This might be a great catch.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
George's Kindle
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your support.

I checked for the fake network tunnel interface and indeed found almost 400 6-4 adaptors. I removed them with the microsoft hotfix. And then installed 0.9.17 - but still unresponsiveness during the first three minutes after starting the program.

The one that is running fine is version 0.8.66.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Go to Preferences-Look and feel:
Uncheck Show splash screen at startup.
Check Disable animations.

Also check your Windows font folder for corrupted fonts.

Read this thread Calibre Speedup.

Hope this helps.
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I checked for the fake network tunnel interface and indeed found almost 400 6-4 adaptors. I removed them with the microsoft hotfix. And then installed 0.9.17 - but still unresponsiveness during the first three minutes after starting the program.

The one that is running fine is version 0.8.66.
Did you reboot your computer after removing the adapters?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
George's Kindle
Enthusiast

Yes - I did a restart. The hotfix required that anyway.

I will check for the fonts and also look at the other suggestions for speeding it up.

Thanks again.

I wonder what happened from 0.8.66 to the higher versions???
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
On my Pentium D with 2gb ram, calibre takes 8 seconds to load using a 2300 ebook library. Using my test library with 100 ebooks calibre loads in 3 seconds.

Create a test library and use copy to library to copy some ebooks to it, then change to that library, then restart calibre.

I would run library maintenance.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
You can check the What's New section and for more detail the actual change log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
0.8.67 was the first release that included netifaces, a C+Python library to interrogate the network interfaces on the computer to get the list of "up" IP addresses. If the problem is indeed related to networking, then it is possible that something on your machine is preventing netifaces from doing its job.
Chaley mentioned one specific item above.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Yes - I did a restart. The hotfix required that anyway.

I will check for the fonts and also look at the other suggestions for speeding it up.

Thanks again.

I am quite sure that the hotfix does not delete the existing superfluous tunnel interfaces, but instead prevents creating new ones. Did you verify that the interfaces are indeed gone?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote