Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #151
az99
az99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@az99: If you don't know why you would want it, then don't install it.
That is why I am asking. What will it do?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #152
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
I have no clue about Java bytecode, but wouldn't it theoretically be possible to create "byte mask patterns" that find the correct class/method name by scanning the Java bytecode for certain OP codes that stay the same (i.e. functionality) and from there automate the class/method updating? Provided that the functionality doesn't also change with each update...
That's exactly the point. It would be possible "somehow" to do it, but you'd still have to manually check whether the results make sense. So I use my own manual "heuristic" for finding which class/method has become what. It's still extremely tedious, but at least it's a bit faster than having to find out everything from scratch again.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #153
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Allow for customizations. Read the README.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #154
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
It will steal your soul, but your kindle will sing exactly like Elvis. I know, hard choice....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #155
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
There is one area of the file system that you can see when connected to a pc - the place where you put your books.
Everything else about the software that runs the machine is outside of that view.

Putting software onto the machine, in the part that you can't see, requires the use of cryptographically signed packages.

Amazon only ships the Kindles with their own crypto certificate installed.
The "jailbreak" for the Kindles installs an additional crypto certificate so that software packages not provided by Amazon may be installed.

With the recent advent of the version 5.3 firmware for the Kindle Paperwhite (Kpw) it has become a bit more than just installing our customization certificate, but the principle remains.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #156
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is one area of the file system that you can see when connected to a pc - the place where you put your books.
Everything else about the software that runs the machine is outside of that view.

Putting software onto the machine, in the part that you can't see, requires the use of cryptographically signed packages.

Amazon only ships the Kindles with their own crypto certificate installed.
The "jailbreak" for the Kindles installs an additional crypto certificate so that software packages not provided by Amazon may be installed.

With the recent advent of the version 5.3 firmware for the Kindle Paperwhite (Kpw) it has become a bit more than just installing our customization certificate, but the principle remains.
Ahhhhhhh. This is the first time I really went looking. I now see that Collections file (whatever json) is no longer visible/accessible. That was the one I could tweak on my k3.

Hmmm. More investigation will be required.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #157
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
ixtab is a he?? I guess I was taking the 'goddess' thing too literally.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=96

Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #158
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
So could someone explain the next steps after this jailbreak to complete the screensaver override? That's the piece I miss.
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #159
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draccy View Post
So could someone explain the next steps after this jailbreak to complete the screensaver override? That's the piece I miss.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #160
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Hello.

I have done the jailbreak by the following method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

My question is, can I update my paperwhite directly to 5.3.1 version?, or should I have remove jailbreak before update...

Thanks ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #161
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Hello.

My question is, can I update my paperwhite directly to 5.3.1 version?, or should I have remove jailbreak before update...

Thanks ;-)
You can update directly, and if your jailbreak version was recent enough, it will be automatically jailbroken again right after update. Please note that this update is a full reflash, so it'll override everything you have modified on main partition.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #162
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Hello.

Thanks ;-)
You can safely update from any previous PW version - jailbroken or not - to 5.3.1.

I highly recommend to re-apply the jailbreak once you're on version 5.3.1. This will make sure that all the required files are in place, even if the firmware update wiped them.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #163
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thank you very much, tomorrow i'll do it ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #164
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The screensaver hack isn't working for me (update is greyed out) so can I assume that the kindle has been correctly jailbroken? I did the press on the left corner on that document and it said my kindle was being liberated etc, but maybe it hasn't worked?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #165
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
The screensaver hack isn't working for me (update is greyed out) so can I assume that the kindle has been correctly jailbroken? I did the press on the left corner on that document and it said my kindle was being liberated etc, but maybe it hasn't worked?
Cross posting to multiple threads here is a good way to be ignored.