Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 04:44 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I understood your meaning.

My comment was directed to you sort of undercover advice
When you create ebook in Book Designer or Calibre, you choose margins, so you don't have to suffer this atrocity of waste of valuable space. This way you will have almost full screen, almost 6", without hardware change.
That depends on what format you're talking about.

On the Sony, you're right, the margins are "hard coded" into the book.

With formats like MobiPocket, they are (generally) not; the margin is set by the reading application and can often be varied by the user.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #62
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So, would it be possible on Kindle to avoid the problem or Kindle doesn't have the feature that control the margins implemented?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #63
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So, would it be possible on Kindle to avoid the problem or Kindle doesn't have the feature that control the margins implemented?
The Kindle has an identical "look" for all ebooks, with relatively wide margins and the same header and footer. With the K2, at least the line spacing can be changed (it is relatively large, and fixed, on the K1), but it is unlikely the margins will ever be customizable. I'm sure that Amazon would say that this is a feature, not a bug.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What readers can you use the "opportunity"?

Since HarryT mentioned it, CyBook Gen3 - definitely. Any other ebook reader that supports mobipocket? or only reader that has the tools to tweak the feature? I mean, although mobipocket allows for tweaking margins, if ebook reader didn't "unlock" the margings, like Kindle, then mobipocket or not, the feature is useless?

Also, it makes my advice for emellaich a vaild one, since there is no way to tweak the margins on the uploaded book on Kindle, then the margins must be set properly when creating ebook.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #65
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
then the margins must be set properly when creating ebook.
There are no margins in a MOBI ebook, the margins are set by the device. In the best implementations, the margins are user selectable but sometimes you get whatever the vendor has chosen (e.g. on the Kindle). It is possible to set justification within a MOBI ebook, but the recommended approach is to let this be user selectable as well.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #66
astra
The Introvert

Would you be able to change "margins" when you are reading mobipocket ebook created by yourself on Kindle?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #67
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Would you be able to change "margins" when you are reading mobipocket ebook created by yourself on Kindle?
Not unless you can hack the Kindle's software somehow to change it's margin settings.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #68
Tom Tang
Tom Tang is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Read me first: I've received word from the manufacturer that my source for this info was wrong. The device exists, but it does not belong to Pocketbook. We are now getting reports that due to a contract dispute, it will be sold by Bookeen.

Editor's Note: The following links go to webpages that are not in English. If you need them to be translated, Google has translation tools here.

PocketBook is a Ukraine based Netronix distributor similar to Bookeen. The reader software they ported is FBReader, and they just announced that they will support an open source project called PocketBook Free.

They've been selling the PocketBook 301 for some time now, and recently announced a new 5" reader called the 360°. Technical details are sparse, but you can find pictures here, and a brief writeup here. All I know so far is that the device probably has an accelerometer.
We, Netronix have been working with company Pocketbook since 2 years. They are our reliable partners. In the situation with the 5" device there was no fault of Pocketbook. Please excuse this misunderstanding.
Tom Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #69
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I think this will be the "real" pocketbook design :

We now will see the Bookeen reaction to this
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #70
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I doubt it. From what I gather, PocketBook will have a custom design which will not be offered by Netronix to anyone else.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That looks like a very elegant design. Is it a touch screen, do you know?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #72
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I doubt it. From what I gather, PocketBook will have a custom design which will not be offered by Netronix to anyone else.
But why netronix put such black marker on the design for other reason that masking a productname?

I doubt they will hide mentor's name since they are Mentor

HarryT: this is a picture from the netronix website for the EB500 so no, I doubt it will be with a touch screen. It's more like a EB600 but with another design and a 5" display

Last edited by Godzil; 04-07-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #73
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Too much bezel.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #74
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Too much bezel.
I kind of like it that way. It gives me something to have an equally good grip on if I want to read landscape or portrait without having to work at avoiding touching the screen. Yes, the appearance is a bit lacking and seems to make the screen look smaller than it is, but I like it from a practical standpoint. Maybe the Mentor Basic (?) version coming to the North American market will look similar.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #75
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Well, I was joking, a little; but to me the point of a device with a smaller screen is increased portability. When you take a smaller screen and surround it with a lot of real estate, that sort of misses the point. Might as well stick with the 6" screen device.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote